Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

It's time to write reviews for the books I read during my Ten Books in Ten Days Challenge. The first book up is: Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma. A quick overview from Nova Ren Suma's website:

Chloe’s older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can’t be captured or caged. After a night with Ruby’s friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers a dead body floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away—away from home, away from Ruby.

But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns home at last, she finds a precarious and deadly balance waiting for her. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.


Imaginary Girls is a masterfully distorted vision of family with twists that beg for their secrets to be kept.

You can't deny how beautifully written this book is. The words are almost poetic and the visuals she creates become tangible in your mind. I could picture every detail and feel every emotion. However, I didn't love the book. I know I am probably in the minority, but every person has different tastes, it's what makes the world go round. Honestly I finished reading it and had no idea what to make of it. Was it contemporary? Maybe. Yes. No. I have no idea. Was it paranormal? I don't thinnnnk so. I was completely confused.


The other problem I had with this book is Chloe's obsession with her sister. I understand a young girl idolizes her older sister but this was to the point that it distorted her view of reality. It was unhealthy and I wanted to reach into the book and shake her and try to make her see her sister as the self centered, mean spirited person she was. The whole book is Chloe speaking about her sister and I hated her sister. Despised her. And maybe I was supposed to hate her and I guess she redeems herself at one point in the book, but that doesn't make up for everything else. I kept waiting for Chloe to see her sister for who she really was, to grow from the naive little girl she started as, but that never happened.

Again it is personal opinion and I know so many people who have loved this book. In the end it just wasn't for me. Though since the writing was divine and I did get sucked in at one point I give it 3.5 stars. Not to mention, how gorgeous is that cover!

I do look forward to reading more from Nova Ren Suma. Have you read Imaginary Girls? Thoughts?

12 comments:

  1. I haven't read it.. and I don't think it's my cup of tea. although, maybe, the beautiful writing might make it worth it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say give it a shot based on the writing alone. It was just too weird for me, but the writing did make up for it. lol.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this book, but I'm a happy ending kind of girl. If nothing is resolved I generally don't like a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a happy ending kind of girl too maybe that's why I didn't like it as much as I hoped.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this one either, despite loving the heck out of that cover. If there isn't a happy ending, I'm usually pretty disappointed, so I'm not sure if I'll read it. We'll see :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the book because of the cover its gorgeous.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm...doesn't sound like my kind of book from the back of the cover, and even less so as you describe it.

    Like you said though, since the writing is so great it will be interesting to see what the author does next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read her bio and it said she writes short stories and that's what it seemed like a short story that was stretched out into a novel. Does that make sense?

      Delete
  5. Hmm.. I'm not sure now about the book. The cover and title are very intriguing, but I might still have to get a copy from the library.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel bad like I'm turning everyone off from this book, but taking it out of the library is a good idea. It's a win win.

      Delete
  6. Imaginary Girls is not a light, fluffy read. It's intense and creepy and something that won't easily get out of your head once you've finished reading and definitely not your average YA book. Depending on what you had for breakfast this morning, whether you think the glass is half-full or half-empty, what color underwear you're wearing, your general mood, and other small factors that probably have nothing to do with anything after all, you might choose to call this book contemporary, magical realism, fantasy, contemporary with a magical twist, paranormal, supernatural, and so much more. It's not an easy book to slap a label on, that's for sure.

    I do love it, but this definitely isn't going to be a book for all readers. If you don't like reading books that will creep you out, step away. (This might mean you, Kayla. Yes, you. Also, I hope you feel better soon. Getting wisdom teeth out sucks, huh?) Have trouble reading about characters you don't like but recognize as interesting or well-developed? Once again, step away. Willing to try any kind of book once no matter how gory, weird, or surreal it is? Step right up.

    ReplyDelete