Monday, January 30, 2012

A Writer's Checklist


Every writer has a checklist. A list of things they need in order to sit down and get the words from their brain on to their computer screen or paper. Some are short just needing the basics- pen/paper, computer. Others are much longer.

When I sit down to have a serious writing session my checklist consists of:

Laptop
Something to drink (Coffee in the morning Tea in the afternoon Wine in the evening)
Post Its (for plotting and note taking)
Index Cards (to keep track of character traits)
A blanket (I'm always cold)
A snack (usually Cheez its or Pringles- healthy I know)
Background noise (this could be music or even the television. My last WIP took place in the 1920's so I listened to the 1920's station on Pandora. If I'm not listening to music I tend to put a movie on I've seen a million times just so I know I won't get distracted)
Pictures (Sometimes I need visuals. For my last WIP I printed out all the visuals I referenced and tacked them to a cork board. Made life easy.)

Now it's your turn. What is on your writer's checklist?

15 comments:

  1. We have a lot of the same writing requirements :-) Except the wine - if I had wine while I wrote there would be some seriously weird stuff ending up on the pages lol (it doesn't take much to get me loopy) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That could actually be really interesting :)

      Delete
  2. My checklist is quite similar too. I actually like wine as well when writing but not if it's early in the morning. Other things I need are music in the background, a cozy cardigan, and my notes next to the laptop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to have wine in the early morning but I refrain lol :)

      Love the cozy cardigan, if I'm not wearing one of those I have on a hoodie sweatshirt. Comfort is key.

      Delete
  3. When I write at home, I have a lot of those too in my checklist :-D The coffee in the morning, the tea during the afternoon...Not sure about the wine but again I don´t write during the evening, if I did maybe it would pop up in my hand (oh and I´d have cheese with it too, yum!)

    Sweatpants & a cozy hoodie is usually my writing attire :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm Cheese. And now I have that Doritos commercial in my head :) Have you seen it? If not then this comment makes no sense. lol.

      Delete
  4. I need music. And my laptop. I don't usually have food with me cause I'd just keep eating. But I definitely need my diet coke :)

    Maybe I should try wine... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a huge advocate for drinking and writing. In moderation of course :)

      Delete
  5. Oh man - I have to have silence or I get too distracted and can't think. However, I do want to put together a play list and try using it while I write one day. Love to have snacks and drink too. Lately I have turned to gum, because my mouth thinks I'm eating, but my hands are free to type.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give the playlist a shot. And I love the gum idea. I'm going to try that.

      Delete
  6. Hi Theresa, found you on Kelley's blog! Your blog is so cute! Got to have music, definitely. And snacks. And I can never sit in the same place over and over. I have to change locations within my house. I think it gives me some crazy kind of mental break or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! *waves* and aww thanks :)

      I love that I'm not the only snacker. I've never tried the changing location thing. I usually just stay on my couch. Come to think of it a few times I did write in my bedroom and I got a crazy amount of pages done. Hmm. I'm going to have to try that again.

      Thanks for the follow :)

      Delete