Monday, January 9, 2012

Sean Griswolds's Head by Lindsey Leavitt

Why did this book sit on my bookshelf for months? Why? I'm almost mad at myself for not picking it up sooner. Sean Griswold's Head is my new Anna and The French Kiss. Before I get into it, a quick overview from Lindsey Leavitt's website:

Payton Gritas needs a focus object—something to focus her emotions on after discovering that her father’s been hiding his multiple sclerosis. Her guidance counselor suggested something inanimate but Payton chooses the thing she stares at during class: Sean Griswold’s head. They’ve been linked since third grade (Griswold-Gritas, it’s an alphabetical order thing), but she’s never really noticed him before. Payton starts stalking—er, focusing on—Sean’s big blond head, and her research quickly grows into something a little less scientific and a lot more crush-like. As Payton gets inside Sean’s head, Sean finds a way into her guarded heart. But obsessing over Sean won’t fix Payton’s fear of her dad’s illness. For that, she’ll have to focus on herself.

Have you ever read a book and when you finish think- Now that is the type of book I want to write. Sean Griswold's Head is that book for me. It took me so long to pick it up because instead of reading what the book was about I assumed it was told from a boy, Sean's, POV and every time I saw it sitting on the shelf I thought, yeah I don't really want to know what's in his head today. WRONG! I should have read the book flap. If anyone else has been hesitant about this book, stop hesitating and pick it up.

Lindsey Leavitt brings you on Payton's journey as she tries to cope with the hardships life has handed her. It is an emotional ride with laugh out loud moments and a great insight into the disease of MS. I learned so much while reading this and it really opened up my eyes to a disease that I was not all that familiar with.

This book is another perfect example of a strong voice. I felt like I was not in Sean Griswold's head but in Payton's. She was witty to the point where I was thinking- how did the writer come up with this, and on top of that she was emotionally raw. It was the perfect combination. I felt everything that she felt. I laughed. I cried and I understood why she chose to deal with her issues the way that she did.

I'm terrible at writing reviews. So I'm going to stop trying to explain why you should read this book and just say read it.I bet you will love it.

Have you read it? Or like me, it has been sitting on your TBR list forever?

11 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I have not read it. I love those books that after you close them inspire you to want to write more. That was Daughter of Smoke and Bone for me.

    How convenient that you found a book like that just as you're starting your next WIP! (That's what happened for FRACTION. I finished Daughter of Smoke and Bone and started that WIP.) Take that inspiration and run! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard great things about this book. And you wrote a perfectly good review. Thanks for reminding to get this book read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelley: It did inspire me, but not with the WIP I just started, but one I keep putting aside. You might be reading a completely different story in February then the one I told you about. lol.

    Emily: Thanks Emily and also thank you for your survey. (If you haven't checked it out go over to her blog now!) I posted this before reading it and was amazed at how 'reviews' was the least favorite post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not heard of this book, but I love the title! Wish I could find a better title for my own :) I just read Shatter Me over the holidays and that book has inspired my writing (well, my editing), I was in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope: I'm terrible with coming up with titles. Sometimes I feel like it takes just as long to come up with a title as it does for writing the book.

    I haven't read Shatter Me but I absolutely love the cover. It's on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ladonna: Anytime. I hope it lives up to my hype.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really interesting. Just by looking at the cover I initially thought it was from a guy's POV too. Good thing I read this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jaime: The cover threw me off too, but after reading the book I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Theresa,

    I have heard about this book, your suggestion has concluded I should read it. :) I'm currently reading Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl... that's also written in a guy POV and so far - really good :)
    Look forward to following you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jade *waves* Beautiful Creatures is one of my favorite books. I have Beautiful Chaos sitting on my shelf and I plan on getting to it very soon. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete