Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Inspiration

Inspiration can hit at any minute. I can't even count the number of times it hit me in the shower and I didn't have a pen or paper to write the thoughts down. The shower is my place to think without the distraction of the internet, television and all the other every day distractions. But sometimes I need to step out of the shower and venture into the world. I need to see interaction between people, watch the way their hands move or don't when they talk. Watch for what easily distracts them and listen to the background noises.  

Perfect example: The other day I went to the Atlantis Marine World Aquarium here on Long Island. My boyfriends best friend is visiting from Texas and they both have aquariums and love fish, so when we heard his friend had never been my boyfriend couldn't drive there fast enough. It is a place I go to at least twice a year. If your new to the blog you can read about my time with the penguins this August here.  When we got there I looked at them and said, "If you don't mind I'm going to wander off. I just want to observe people." Luckily they didn't look at me like I was crazy or they were just too enthralled with the tanks in front of them, either way they waved me off. I walked around, listened to conversations, watched people as they watched the fish and just took it all in. It was exactly what I needed.

Anywhere other than my couch I can get inspiration. The mall, the park, the city, the beach, anywhere people are going about their lives. I just hope they don't mind that I watch them. That's not creepy, right?

Where do you go for inspiration?

8 comments:

  1. I agree! Inspiration happens everywhere, so long as you're looking for it. Usually it happens when I hear a story about someone. Then I want to know why they did what they did or how they endured until now. The result? Me creating backstory for them. If that's not inspiration, what is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love creating backstory to other people's stories. It's like filling in the gaps the way you hoped it unfolded :)

      Delete
  2. So not creepy! I love finding inspiration at airports. And I do a lot of waiting at airports so it works out well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! For not being creepy. lol. Airports are filled with emotionally charged people that is always fun and insightful.

      The last time I was at the airport I got to watch six different people yelling at the (I don't even know what they are called) um.. the ticket collectors? because our flight was delayed by two hours. The poor ticket person. But I got to witness seven different personalities :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, inspiration happens everywhere, and I never have a pen or paper with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have that problem now my pocket book always has between 2-5 notebooks in it. I just need to get some of that paper and pen you can use in the shower. It totally exists too. One day I said I needed to invent it, the next my friend sent me a link to a page where it already exists. Go figure!

      Delete