Friday, January 27, 2012

Watching and Writing

I want to thank Robin Moran at The Nook for the Versatile Blogger Award! Thank You so much. She is awesome and you all should stop by her blog and say hi and become a follower.

I've already bored you with seven things about me I think I actually did ten when Kelley honored me with this and the Kreativ Award so instead I'm going to list my top seven favorite tv shows of all time. I feel like you can learn a great deal about a person by the shows that they watch so here goes:

1) Dawson's Creek
2) Gilmore Girls
3) Buffy the Vampire Slayer (The early years)
4) The OC
5) One Tree Hill
6) Vampire Diaries
7) True Blood

So obviously what you can take from this is I love anything that has to do with teen angst and/or vampires. But this also leads me into the topic I want to discuss: Dawson's Creek. Are you a fan? Don't tell me you have never seen the show because I might fall off my couch in disbelief. Then I'll crawl back up and stare at you for ten minutes, trying to understand how you have never been subjected to the over dramatic Dawson, the sex crazed Pacey, the New York bad girl Jen, and the snarky buzz kill Joey! Now that is over, moving on.

My best friend came over today and we watched half of the first season of Dawson's Creek. It was like we were transported back to middle school. It came out when we were in seventh grade and ended the year we graduated high school. It was as if Dawson, Pacey, Jen and Joey grew up with us. This is the perfect example of a realistic young adult show.

What I really love about Dawson's Creek is how not one of them is the 'most popular' or the biggest loser in school, they are just every day teenagers going through the motions and just trying to survive high school. Anybody can relate to them.

I would love to find a YA book series that exemplifies the drama, the heartache, the confusion, and the ups and downs of teenage life as well as Dawson's Creek. Do you know of one? Please share :)

At one point while watching I turned to my friend and said, "This is great research for my writing." I couldn't wait to write this post and ask all of you: Are there any shows that you watch and consider research for your writing? I would love to know the show and what genre you write.

And one last picture:

Till next time Happy Writing, Reading and Watching :)

10 comments:

  1. Uh-oh...Ummm...I've never seen Dawson's Creek... *ducks head*

    But...I think we just don't have the same taste in TV because I've seen a few episodes of Gilmore Girls, but other than that I've never seen an episode of all the other shows you list...haha. Oh well. We have much in common elsewhere :)

    And now that I'm thinking about it...I don't think I really draw from TV shows much for my writing. Though I really like the relationships in Bones, which happens to be my favorite TV show. So perhaps I draw some from there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just fell off my couch! I can't believe you've never seen Dawson's Creek! Though I have a feeling you're going to be in the majority. lol.

      I've never really drawn from TV either, but after watching this particular show it brought up so many memories from that time in my life. I was like this is perfect. I could use this.

      And did you know that before Bones David Boreanaz got his start on Buffy the Vampire Slayer :)I loved his character.

      Delete
  2. I heart Buffy. All the years. It's definitely a show that has helped my writing! Especially the commentaries. Joss is a genius. I learned a ton from him.

    And, sorry. I've never seen Dawson's Creek. I've seen commericals, though! Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joss is a genius! I can even forgive him for breaking up Buffy and Angel and sending him off to his own show.

      And no the commercials don't count! lol! You guys are missing out. Haha :)

      Delete
  3. I'm such a huge fan of Buffy. I loved watching the characters grow up from awkward sophomores to adults and face supernatural challenges together as a group. Their friendship is something that inspires the gang of friends I use in my writing. I always make them incredibly close and there for each other.

    Buffy and Supernatural are always to go-to programme whenever I'm writing something paranormal.

    I do like The Vampire Diaries as well. Although these constant breaks it has gets very annoying. But I'm too hooked on the show to wait for it all to end and then watch it back to back. I love this season so far. I actually like Stefan and Elena apart. It's sparked some strength in her - I wanna see more vampire-ass kicking Elena!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favorite parts of series, watching them grow. I also love going back years later to watch it and being like holy smokes look how young they were!

      Oh my god the breaks are awful! So annoying. And yes Stefan and Elena apart has definitely made her stronger and I love that change in her. She's no longer helpless. And though I love the new Elena and am in love with Damon I"m still Team Stefan :)

      Delete
  4. I was/am a major Gilmore Girls fan as well as a Veronica Mars fan (I hate them for cancelling it). I bought all the seasons of both shows and was watching an episode while I went on the treadmill (42 solid minutes - not too shabby). Talk about making exercise bearable :-) A little Lorelai/Rory banter can definitely divert your attention from the monotony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen Veronica Mars but I think I need to buy the DVD's because so many people loved that show. And I have every season of Gilmore Girls on DVD! I'm still waiting for the movie. A girl can wish can't she?

      And Yes! Gilmore Girls can definitely make exercising bearable especially when there are no commercials. And 42 minutes not shabby at all!

      Delete
  5. I absolutely loved Dawson´s Creek, Buffy and Gilmore Girls...I had a big crush on Pacey, never quite understood the big Dawson´s craze :D

    It´s funny cos about a month ago I posted about inspiration for my main male MC, Angel and Pacey as well as Dylan from 90210 old school helped me to visualize my male lead :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have awesome taste in TV shows and guys lol.

      I'm team Pacey all the way!! I'm sure you can tell by the picture I chose for the post. Best episode ever when he asked her to stay. Loved it!

      Delete