Saturday, June 18, 2011

Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson

TwistedI just finished reading Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson and I loved it. A quick overview of the story:

Tyler Miller has always been somewhat of a nerd, invisible amongst his classmates, until he gets caught for spray painting graffiti on school property. After a summer of community service and a labor intense job he is back at school with a new body and reputation. The girl he has been lusting after, his dad's boss’s daughter and sister to his enemy, for a majority of his teen year’s takes notice. You would think this is the part where things begin to look up for Tyler but a web of deceit turns his life upside down. (I don't want to give too much away for those who have not read the book yet.)

As an aspiring writer I am always reading agents profiles and interviews and the thing they are always talking about is voice. Twisted is the perfect example of a book having a strong voice. At times I felt like I was in Tyler's head going through the motions with him. The voice was consistent and realistic throughout the entire story and even after I had put the book down Tyler's voice was still in my head.

I'm embarrassed to admit that this is the first Laurie Halse Anderson book I have read. I know. I know. As an aspiring YA writer I should have read Speak years ago, but at least I've seen the movie. Right? No. *Hangs head in shame*

It's kind of like being a New Yorker and admitting to have never walked across the Brooklyn Bridge or have been to the top of the Empire State Building. Shameful but it happens. However, after reading TWISTED I plan on buying all of Laurie Halse Anderson's books. And if you are in the same boat as me and have never read one of her books I suggest you go out to your local library or bookstore and do something about it. You will not be disappointed.

Did you read TWISTED? If so what are your thoughts? Is there a book that you are ashamed to admit that you have never read? Would love to hear what you have to say. (I always try to respond to comments, but Blogger and I have been fighting lately and Blogger has been very stubborn and making it impossible for me to do so. I will try to make amends in the meantime.)

4 comments:

  1. I will have to go check out Twisted. I haven't read anything by Anderson myself. I haven't read The Odyssey. I own a copy of it,but haven't read it yet. This sucks more for me because I'm an English major and you wouldn't believe how much other stuff is based on that story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually read The Odyssey for a class, though I think reading it and not remembering a single thing about it is probably much worse than admitting to have never read it at all. At least you have it on your bookshelf with the desire to one day read it.

    ReplyDelete