Monday, June 20, 2011

Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty

If you have never read one of my reviews before just know that I don't like to talk too much about the content of a book because I don't want to ruin it for those that have yet to read it. Though, I will discuss why I liked or disliked it and how I could relate to it.
Sloppy Firsts: A Jessica Darling NovelI purchased SLOPPY FIRSTS by Megan McCafferty after reading all of the rave reviews on Goodreads. Now I will admit at first it felt as if it was taking me forever to read. Usually I can read a book in a day or two this one was going on to five and I didn't know if I would ever finish it. Once I got through the first hundred pages the book finally came alive and I couldn't put it down.

A quick overview of the story:
Jessica Darling is lost when her best friend, Hope, moves out of Pineville after the untimely death of her brother, Heath, due to a drug overdose. With her best friend gone she is left to deal with friends who she really can't stand AKA the Clueless Crew (as she refers to them), her sister's wedding, and pressure from her dad to be the greatest track star who ever lived, all by herself.
Through the course of the book I fell in love with Jessica Darling and even more with her interactions with Marcus Flutie. I felt like I was transported back to high school as I read and was surprised to discover how much Marcus Flutie reminded me of my ex-boyfriend when I was 15/16.

Like Marcus Flutie my ex was a Dreg, smarter than anyone I knew, bored with everything and dressed to set himself apart from everyone else. The similarities between the two are uncanny.

At one point in the story Jessica is called down to the guidance counselor where she is lectured about how she is a smart girl and she shouldn't be hanging around the likes of Marcus Flutie. I almost laughed out loud at this point just because I had the same thing happen to me. Most people would think that this is farfetched. Why would the school get involved with relationships? I'm living proof that they do.

My ex wrote a poem for English class which I read before he handed in and I thought was amazing. I was even jealous that he was able to write something that I could imagine reading in a text book one day. However, the content of the poem was frowned upon by the teacher, it really wasn't that bad, and she sent it to the principal. Now this teacher had it out for him from the very beginning. She spent more time sending him to the principal's office, for the minutest things than actually teaching him. After the principal got a hold of the poem it made its way to my counselor. I sat there with my blood boiling as she asked me ridiculous questions such as has he ever hurt you? This about the boy who rescued an injured bird while we were out for walk one day. Not only did he rescue it from stray cats and cars he took it back to my house gave it water, food and a name and nursed it back to health. He also cared so deeply for his siblings and cried on the phone with me when his grandfather passed away. Oh yeah he was totally the type of guy who would hurt me. He wasn't that type of guy even if he was rebellious in their eyes he never physically hurt me or anyone for that matter. It wasn't his style.

As I read this particular scene I wondered how Jessica would react in the similar situation and I was thrilled when she reacted the same exact way as I did. I wish I would have read this book back then. It could have helped. It could have given me something to relate to since I was exactly like Jessica. I was completely lost.
Second Helpings: A Jessica Darling NovelI think this book has a great voice, Jessica Darling is witty and entertaining and most importantly realistic. I had bought the first three books in the series and in the beginning didn't think I'd ever get to the other two. But after finishing SLOPPY FIRSTS I couldn't wait to start reading SECOND HELPINGS. So stayed tuned for that review.

No comments:

Post a Comment