Friday, June 24, 2011

~Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty~

Second Helpings: A Jessica Darling NovelI just finished reading the second installment of the Jessica Darling series by Megan McCafferty, SECOND HELPINGS, and unlike the first book I was instantly pulled into the story. By the second book you have already been introduced to the characters and are already invested into their development. You have chosen your favorites and your least favorites and you find yourself rooting for the former.

Jessica's relationship with Marcus is what had me turning the pages. Their interactions and their denial, is in my mind, the stories driving force. As much as I wanted to go into the second book with Jessica and Marcus already together I'm happy Megan McCafferty didn't take that route. Because what makes Jessica and Marcus so great is the buildup, all the in betweens that happen before you finally allow yourself to commit to a person.

Because this book took place in the years 2001/2002, the same time I was in high school, I was able to relate so well. The author didn't shy away from mentioning 9/11 and it was a reoccurring topic within the book. As I read the thoughts surrounding the events of that day it reminded me how I harbored the same fears Jessica did. There is one part in the book where Jessica is talking to another character and he basically says by living in fear you let the terrorists win. I can't even tell you how many times those exact words were spoken to me. As I read each page I felt as if I was reliving high school.

The supporting characters were just as interesting as Jessica and all had their own quirks that either made you love them or hate them. Percy AKA Pepe is still a favorite of mine as is Bridget and I instantly fell in love with Gladdie, Jessica's 90 year old grandmother.

There were so many times when I read Jessica's thoughts I started to laugh because I myself had had those exact thoughts. One particular thought of hers that was a direct line into my own head:

"When I really want something, I mean, really, really want something, I just can't believe that I'll ever actually get it. I think that's why I so rarely really, really want something. I try not to address my desires. If I deny, deny, deny then I have no reason to be disappointed when I don't get it. Right?"

It is something that she thinks, but doesn't admit to. I can't even tell you how many times this exact thought has gone through my head through the years. I'm sure we are not alone either.

Going into this book I decided that when I was finished I would take a break and read something else before going forward with the series. So yesterday as I put this book down and began reading another book my mind kept drifting back to Jessica and all of the characters of the series.

I just want to know what happens next!

However, I already started the next book on my list so I will do as I said I would and I will wait. Jessica and Marcus aren't going anywhere.

Currently reading:
The Liar Society

1 comment: