Saturday, June 25, 2011

Let's Hear it for New York, New York, New York

Today, I have one thing to say: 
I am Proud to be a New Yorker.
I have always been proud to be a New Yorker, but last night as I watched history unfold I could not be prouder. I cried when Senator Duane spoke of his family and his beloved Louis, "Louis and I are family. Marriage strengthens all families." I clapped when Senator Grisanti said, "I cannot legally come up with an argument against same-sex marriage... I cannot deny anyone in my district and across New York the same rights I have with my wife." 
 
Though, I was enraged when Senator Diaz said, "It's unbelievable that the Republican Party would allow the bill to the Senate floor," my anger kept building as this man spoke. He brought up tradition which to me traditions are meant to be broken and have been for thousands of years. And when you speak of traditions it is a crutch because you have no other valid reason to stand on. To me, what it all comes down to is this, by denying a person the right to marry, you are denying them their equal rights. You can't help who you fall in love with nor should you be ashamed of them. You should be able to marry them in front of your family and friends just like everyone else. To those that oppose it, their marriage doesn't affect you in anyway, so why try to be the reason that it doesn't happen?

You know what I'm done talking about the negative. No matter what there will always be people who are against same sex marriage as there is still people today, 43 years after the civil rights movement, who hold a hatred towards people just because of the color of their skin. I'm just grateful that we as a country are one step closer to equal rights for all. New York made a huge step and I hope that other states will soon follow. So Congrats New York for making history by doing the right thing.

1 comment: