Sunday, June 12, 2011

Rambling

My new obsession is Ebay. I've been trying to save money, but can't seem to kick my book buying habit so Ebay is making it possible for me to save while still being able to buy books. I may have taken it a step too far since now I have about fifty books sitting on my bookshelf waiting for me to read with another six being shipped. I have officially cut myself off. However, with the amount of money I spent it was worth it.

As a writer you need to read. It helps you discover different styles of writing as well as helps you develop your own style. So I decided to read outside of my box which has pretty much always consisted of YA.
I'm becoming obsessed with romance books. As predictable as they are I can never seem to put the books down. I'm a sucker for a happy ending.

I've read at least a dozen Nora Roberts books and what I found interesting is at least of the books I have read is that they all follow the same basic outline. Sarah Dessen who I love is another writer who follows the same basic outline in her books. But you know what, it works. And you know what they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I also now  have quite a large collection  of R.L. Stine books both Fear Street and Goosebumps. I remember loving R.L. Stine as a kid and I can't wait to go back down memory lane and discover why I loved him all over again. I'm amazed at how many books he has actually written. I wonder if he ever gets writer's block.

Okay this post was just some random babble and I promise the next one will be a little more structured and interesting.

Currently Reading: Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty
Sloppy Firsts: A Jessica Darling Novel

2 comments: