Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Don't Write for Trends


That is the advice I keep reading from agents, though, I can't help but wonder if it is the right advice. Granted I believe that writers shouldn't write just because a specific genre is popular. A writer should always write what they want to write. The ideas that they have that they know if they don't get down on paper it will drive them absolutely crazy. But what if you are like me a writer of contemporary with several paranormal ideas floating around in your mind. Is it wrong to set the contemporary aside and try to jump on the band wagon?

I'm not saying that I am going to. I won't begin a story until I am completely certain of the storyline, the characters and if I believe it is a story worth investing my time into. If I'm not going to enjoy writing it I'm simply not going to write it. But back to the topic at hand, Should you write for trends or not? I was leaning towards the not but then I dug and I found some interesting evidence to support the former.

Alyson Noel former YA contemporary writer is now more popular than ever with her Evermore Series. Megan McCafferty who as you know is the author of the books I am currently reading all of which are YA Contemporary. However, her latest title is a dystopian.  Lauren Kate known for her Fallen series wrote a book prior to the series that had no paranormal elements in it.

These are just a few and I'm sure there are several more. It seems to me they are writing for the current trend. Can you blame them? If you have the ideas floating isn't it okay to take advantage of the trends in order to establish yourself? I am really on the fence about this one. What are your thoughts? And do you know of any writers that seem to be writing for the current trends?

Also just a quick note regarding my book buying problem. It's not getting better. I bought two new books this weekend. I couldn't help myself.     
                                                                                                             
                       Sarah's Key           What Happened to Goodbye

No comments:

Post a Comment