Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Writers Block

I was hoping that I would be finished reading Crescendo by today, but unfortunately I'm not. Though, I am close, very close. So close I want to sit in my office reading, but I don't think my boss would appreciate that very much. Instead I am desperately trying to come up with a topic to blog about. I'm coming up empty. It's like writers block for my blog. Actually I think I just found my topic.

Writers block. I hate it. I'm sure every writer does. There are days where I can write for hours and then there are days when I can't get down more than a single sentence. It is beyond frustrating. Recently I was venting to my boyfriend, which I do a lot and am so grateful he listens, and he said to me stop thinking. I looked at him for a few seconds, blank stare on my face and he repeated himself, stop thinking. It seemed ridiculous. I mean if you are trying to write and get a coherent sentence or two on a page you need to think and besides he's not a writer what does he know. Well, once I stopped mocking his advice I actually took it and even though I hate to admit it, it worked.

I think that is why I get ideas for books and dialogue for my characters at the most bizarre times. I'm notorious for getting ideas in the shower and it's probably because that is the one time I clear my head and relax. And I can't even tell you how many times I will be out doing things and suddenly I'm scrambling for my notepad because I have to get my thoughts down on paper. Though, so many times when I sit myself in front of my computer with the intention of writing I go blank. I stare at the screen my mind a jumbled mess of thoughts and then I go blank. Usually when this happens I'll pick up a book and start reading, watch TV or exercise and hope that inspiration will strike again which it usually does. However, there are times when even those methods don't seem to work for me because my mind is still going a mile a minute. Who knew it was as simple as stop thinking? So I'm curious, what do you do to cure your writers block?

No comments:

Post a Comment