Monday, July 25, 2011

~RIP Amy Winehouse~

From the moment I heard Amy Winehouse's voice I was a fan. She was a throwback to the classic jazz/soul era that I have always loved. My boyfriend bought me her CD and I listened to it every day.

Soon after her private life overshadowed her talent. From blood covered ballet flats to her signature black makeup smeared across her face it was hard not to watch her downfall. Her face covered the gossip blogs and her antics made news headlines. It was like watching a car accident, you want to help, you say a silent prayer in hopes that it will be enough, but in the end all you can do is sit back and watch.

In 2008 I waited with held breath for her performance at the Grammy's. I silently hoped that she would be sober and it would be her moment. When her name was announced and she took the stage I couldn't help but clap. She was amazing. Then her face when she won, well, I teared up. I loved how her voice changed when she thanked her mom and dad it was indeed a great moment. A moment I thought that would change her life. Change her course. I guess I was wrong. Her addiction was stronger than her and in the end it won.

I hope she'll be remembered by her talent more so than her struggles. I think it's possible too. Look at the 27 Club that Amy has unfortunately joined, Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin, when people talk about them now they don't talk about their downfalls they talk about their music. In the end it doesn't matter what mistakes they made. What does matter, is the contributions they made to the industry. That we were blessed with their talent for the short time they walked this earth. RIP Amy you will be missed. 

A quick note: I have known many people who have struggled with addiction and it's easy to say where was their family and friends when they needed them, but guess what, they were there. Unfortunately when you have a loved one who is suffering from addiction there is really nothing you can do. If they don't want help your continuous efforts will be ineffective. It's a harsh reality, but it's the truth. You can't blame anyone but the addict themself.

No comments:

Post a Comment