Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Everlasting by Alyson Noel

Everlasting (Immortals)There is finally an end to the Immortals series by Alyson Noel. Between the first book EVERMORE to the sixth and final book EVERLASTING I was curious where Alyson Noel was going with the series and how she would wrap it up and even though I was leery after books three through five I am happy to say that EVERLASTING did not disappoint. It finally brought an end that was satisfying and worth the wait. A quick recap from Alyson Noel's website:

The sixth and final installment of the epic love story that has enchanted readers across the world. Ever and Damen have spent centuries facing down bitter rivals, jealous friends and their own worst fears—all in the hope of being together forever. Now in Everlasting, their destiny is finally within reach.
Will they be united—or torn apart forever? Readers will finally discover the truth in this anxiously awaited conclusion!

Ever and Damen seem to have been through it all. All of their past lives, all of the secrets that Damen was so desperately trying to keep from her, but it turns out there was a life that came before all of the rest. A life that neither of them knew anything about and it is the life that set forth the events that continued to plague them for six hundred years. It is the life that finally gives us the answers that we have so desperately wanted to know. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say, It is about time!

I loved learning about the past life that neither of them knew about. I love how as I read I was able to recognize each person for who they truly were. It basically brought back all of the characters from the entire series and it finally made sense. We now know the truth behind Roman and Drina and even get a better understanding of Jude and why he always seems to be the one interfering with Ever and Damen's life. We also get a better understanding of Ever and Damen and what it was that triggered everything that happened for six hundred years.

In the end Ever *SPOILER ALERT* makes peace with both Drina and Roman as well as Haven. I finally got the happy ending with Haven that I wanted in the previous book. She also got to see Riley again and I have to admit when she was able to see her standing there on the wing of the airplane I started to tear up. Because even though Riley left the series much earlier she made such an impact that she was always in the back of my mind as I read. I always hoped she would pop up from time to time and I'm happy that Alyson Noel brought her back for the end. It was perfect. I also wanted a happily ever after for Jude and was actually quite pleased when I realized he would possibly get it with Honor. A character that you love to hate but at the same time can't help but like her.

The other obstacle Ever was facing was having her aunt Sabine believe in her. Believe in what she was and what she was capable of doing which proved to be one of her hardest tasks. I honestly didn't think she would ever be able to get to her. *SPOILER ALERT* I'm happy she did. Ever may have had Damen, Miles, Jude, Ava, and the twins but Sabine was the last of her true family and I don't think Ever would have been truly capable of moving forward without being able to make amends with Sabine.

What I also liked was how Ever grew throughout the series. I remember thinking she was immature in the first few books, but in the last book and this one you can see the growth in her character. She finally grew up.

Did I mention that *SPOILER ALERT* Ever and Damen are finally able to be together! I have to say it again, It's about time! Though, the antidote is not what cures them it is the fruit from the tree of life. The fruit that Damen is reluctant to eat because it will make his body no longer immortal. Just when you think the end is near Alyson Noel hits you with another obstacle. Ever wants to eat the fruit and Damen does not. He wants to take the antidote and stay immortal. Neither seeming like they are coming close to a compromise only leads you to believe that they will go their separate ways because what other choice do they have? Thankfully Ever throws at Damen the one thing he cannot say no to, the chance to see his family again and have the opportunity to have his own family.

I think this was the perfect conclusion for the series and as sad as I am to say goodbye to Ever and Damen and all of the other characters I have fell in love with I am relieved to know there is finally an end.

Currently Reading:
Where I Belong

No comments:

Post a Comment