Friday, July 8, 2011

Afterlife by Claudia Gray

AFTERLIFE by Claudia Gray is the fourth book in the Evernight series and just like the books before it did not disappoint. A quick overview from Claudia Gray's website:

Afterlife: An Evernight Novel
Bianca and Lucas have always believed they could endure anything to be together. When a twist of fate not only transforms Bianca into a ghostly wraith, but also turns Lucas into a vampire—the very creature he spent his life hunting—they are left reeling.
Haunted by his powerful need to kill, Lucas can turn to only one place for help... Evernight Academy. Bianca is determined to remain with him. But with the vampire leader of Evernight waging a war against wraiths, her former home has become the most dangerous place she could be, despite the new powers her transformation has given her.
A battle between wraiths and vampires looms, and Bianca and Lucas face a terrifying new reality. They’ve overcome every obstacle life has thrown at them, but is their love strong enough to survive the challenges after life?

I have loved most of the characters from the very beginning and my fondness for them only grew in AFTERLIFE. In this book both Bianca and Lucas are struggling with what they have become, though, their love for one another is just as strong if not stronger. That is one of the reasons I love this book so much. No matter what is thrown their way they take it head on together. They never lose faith in each other. What I really liked about this book is how Bianca takes on the roll as the protector. It shows her strengths and her undying love for Lucas.

I loved how becoming a vampire didn't change Lucas. He was still him and even when the vampire urge took over those things that made him who he was always prevailed. I cried when his mother turned against him. It broke my heart. I was a little skeptical when Skye was introduced to the story and was thrilled when the author did not take it in the love triangle direction I was expecting.

I was happy to see all of the other characters return for this book. Vic and Ranulf always make me laugh, Charity is the girl I love to hate yet still feel this sadness for her at the same time, Balthazar well I just love him, Patrice, Maxie, Dana and Raquel are also all great in their own ways. The character that surprised me the most was Mrs. Bethany. I've always disliked her but when she took a liking to Lucas and we then found out about her past I honestly started to like her. I felt for her and then was completely shocked *SPOILER ALERT* when it turned out that she was actually using Lucas all along then I really hated her. However, when Christopher switched places with Maxie in order to save her and Mrs. Bethany finally got to see him after all those years I kind of started to feel bad for her again. My thoughts and feelings were all over the place and that is what made this book so great.

The only thing I didn't like was the ending. And I know many people may disagree but the fact that *SPOILER ALERT* Lucas is human again means that Bianca will have to lose him one day. And yes I know if both were alive one would eventually have to go but what makes that okay is that usually the other one goes soon after or at least eventually. Bianca will have the rest of eternity only remembering him. And yeah Lucas said he would live on forever in her but really that's not the same. Then I thought that maybe he would become a wraith and they could still be together. Yes, I am thinking way too far into this, but that is what I do. Either way the book was great and as much as I disliked the ending I loved it at the same time. Weird I know.

I love Claudia Gray's style of writing. It is easy to get sucked into. I'm thrilled that she's writing a spinoff series about Balthazar and even more excited that Skye is going to be in it. Considering Balthazar is a huge part of Bianca and Lucas' life I only hope that they as well as the other characters from the Evernight series will make an appearance or two.

Did you read the Evernight series? AFTERLIFE? Did you fall in love with the characters as much as I did?

Currently Reading:
 Night Star (Immortals)

1 comment: