Tuesday, December 27, 2011

No Special Effects Needed Here

Yesterday as Christmas was officially over I watched something other than a holiday related movie. I watched Empire Records, one of my all time favorites. If you haven't seen it, stop reading and go get it. Now! If that isn't enough to entice you then let me just say, Renee Zellweger before she discovered weights and Liv Tyler pre motherhood are only two of the actors that make up the great cast. After watching I began to think. They really don't make great movies like that anymore. Movies that grasp the essence of teenage life and all the hardships that go with it as well as the fun.

When I was a teen my favorite movies about teens were: Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Empire Records (of course), Dazed and Confused, Clueless, Can't Hardly Wait and She's All That. Which, by the way I have every one on VHS tape. There were no special effects, no big action scenes, no overacting, just teens and their reality.

Now what I am getting to is the fact that in the past few years, they have not come out with a movie like the great movies of the eighties and the nineties. The only three, for me at least, that even come close to making cult status like the ones I mentioned above are Superbad, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist and Easy A. Three from the past ten years. Three. That's it.

Have I missed any good teen movies in the past ten years? Movies that will be considered a classic one day. Please let me know if I have. Also do you agree that they just don't make movies like they used to or disagree with me? What is your favorite teen movie.

14 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites is 10 Things I Hate About You with Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles. I couldn't believe when I looked it up right now, that it was made in 1999! Crap. Time is just flyin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could I have forgot about 10 Things I Hate About You? YES! AMAZING. I own that on VHS too. lol. Another 90's classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree! I loved all those movies as well and miss the greatness of them! So sad movies aren't what they used to be...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some of my favorites too! And most of them I also have on VHS :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. J.A.: It is sad, especially since there are so many great YA books out there that could easily be turned into movies. I have hope for the future.

    Hope: I'm so happy to know I am not the only one who still has VHS tapes :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Can't Hardly Wait!! Highly underrated in my opinion. One of my faves to come out would have to be Never Been Kissed with Drew Barrymore. I just loved that movie *sigh*, went to see it about 3xs in theaters. Also, one of my all time favorites is Some Kind of Wonderful ;)
    Hope you're having a great week,
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ninja Girl: I agree, Can't Hardly Wait is completely underrated. As is Never Been Kissed! I love that movie too. I don't think I've ever actually watched the whole movie of Some Kind of Wonderful. I'll add it to the list. I hear nothing but great things about it. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete