Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Marketing Wednesday! Book Trailers!

It's been a while, huh? Sorry about that. I was caught up with stuff I can't quite talk about just yet, but as soon as I can I will fill you all in. I can't wait! So I had to refresh my memory and see what I've already talked about so I don't go repeating myself. So a quick run down.

Past posts have been on:
  1. Pinterest
  2. Social Networking (Twitter)
  3. Facebook
  4. Websites
  5. Cupcakes
  6. Covers
  7. Databases
  8. Bloghops
  9. Free Book at the Movies?
I can't believe I haven't posted a new MW since the end of Feb. Oops. Let's jump right back in. Today I want to discuss Book Trailers and would love to hear your thoughts on them as well, so please be sure to leave a comment :)

A book trailer, like a movie trailer gives you a glimpse of what the book is about. Some people may argue that book trailers are a waste of time and money. I have to disagree. The reason why, go on Youtube and type in book trailers. 95% of the book trailers that pop up are fan made. The fans want them. So much so they make their own.

It's something else to spark interest in your story and something else for your readers to talk about. To take the experience of the world you created one step further. It's like a mini movie. They get a visual of the characters they have fallen in love with. Or want to fall in love with, so much so they purchase your book to get the whole story and not just a snippet.

If you don't want to spend the money on a book trailer, have the fans do it for you. Have a contest for them to create a book trailer based on your book and submit it. Have a deadline, guidelines to length and whatever else you want and  pick a winner that you will feature on your website/blog/Facebook/Youtube or all. Have them post it to YouTube and send you the link. You can tweet ones you love, satisfying the creator as well as getting more people to see your book. And now do you not only have one book trailer but you have many. And guess what? It didn't cost you a dime. Though, personally I would offer a pretty kick ass prize to the winner.

My favorite book trailers:

All three of Simone Elkeles' for her Perfect Chemistry series. And what is so great about these is she creates short movies. The first one a rap video! She also now has three guys as the face of her series. I'm not exactly sure if they are from the book trailers. I haven't compared. But she is using these actors/models/guys for posters and signings. She has taken it to a whole new level and I think she is a marketing genius. I mean, a great story and cute boys. How could you go wrong?

You can view them all here http://simoneelkeles.com/videos/

What do you think of book trailers? Do you watch them?

4 comments: