Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Marketing Wednesday

Last week I discussed cupcakes and marketing. If you missed that post you can read it here. In that post I talked about how placing your book cover on a cupcake or a cake and having it photographed and passed around the internet was a great way to get your book noticed. But the key to those cupcakes. The cover. Your cover. It's not only the key to those cupcakes but the key to your entire marketing plan.

How many times have you gone in the bookstore with no book in mind and grabbed the first one that caught your eye? For me it happens all the time. I've even been known to buy a book just because I love the cover.

The cover of your book will be what's out there. It will be the thing that draws your reader in. It will also be the one thing other than your name that is on all your swag, if you decide to go that route. It will be on Goodreads, Amazon, B&N and just about every other online book site. Beyond that it will be on your website and blogs.

Your cover needs to be visually appealing as well as something that will connect to your reader. If you're writing a YA contemporary romance don't have a fairy on the cover, it will confuse your reader. Also if you have any say in your cover, be creative. Try to do something that will stand out from all the ball gowns. Has anyone else noticed this trend?

Some of my favorite covers:


 Perfect Chemistry is a YA romance novel. Does anything about this cover say otherwise?









This book was more than a romance novel, it was about a girl putting her life back together and I think the cover does an amazing job of showing this.
I love the font, make it purple and place it on a dark background, I'm sold. My eyes went right to it.


What about you? Have you bought a book only because of the cover? Do you think a book cover is the most important marketing tool when it comes to your book?

9 comments:

  1. Definitely important. They do grab my attention. Not just on the bookshelf, but on the internet too. Sometimes bloggers highlight favorite books. Or for whatever reason they have covers of multiple books posted.

    A good cover is more likely to grab me and make me go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely on the internet too. And once it's out there it gets passed around. Could you imagine if you hated it? How horrible would that be!

      Delete
  2. When I look at publishers the first thing I do is go to their website and look at their covers. It's your main point of advertisement. A self-published book with a cheap looking cover will turn me off right away. It's hard to fathom that some day I may have zero say in how my cover looks but hopefully I will love whatever I get. ;)

    And yes, there is a trend of ballgowns on covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I thought I was the only one. If the covers look cheesy it's a huge turn off.

      Delete
  3. I was told by a very wise person this week that sometimes the best cover for the story isn't the best cover to sell it. So sometimes we have to sacrifice that 'cover in our head' for something that will grab the reader's attention :) So I totally get you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very, very good point. It might not be your vision but if it's eye catching then you're golden :)

      Delete
  4. Hmmm, I don't think I have done this actually. Though I buy a lot of ebooks now so...

    ReplyDelete