Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Facebook

 Last week we talked about Twitter and today it's all about Facebook. I'm sure many, if not all of you, are on Facebook and have a pretty general idea of how to use it as a marketing tool. But I wanted to start out with the basics. Get it all down before I jump ahead to the really fun stuff.

Facebook is also about the connection with your readers. It is the perfect place to interact and to get a conversation going. You just have to be creative with your posts. If you are trying to build an author page and are not yet published, discuss books in the same genre you wrote/write. Make a post that says something like "Just read Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles. Alex was definitely my favorite character. Who's yours?" Once the conversation gets going, don't drop off the face of the earth. Check in every now and again and continue to be a part of it.

Once you are published you can gear questions towards your book. "Have you read (insert title here) yet?" And then ask a question that relates to your story. The conversations will start flowing and for those who have yet to read it, most likely will have their curiosity piqued.

Make use of the photo albums as well. Start conversations by the images you post. It could be a picture of your bookshelf or a picture of a cute dog. Again anything to get a reaction and people commenting. Once you get the comment your door is open to keep the conversation going.  

You can also post about contests and giveaways and anything you'd like. But the most important thing is the connection. Form relationships with your readers. It will make you stand out from the rest.

Like Twitter, Facebook will pop back up in future posts.  Do you use Facebook as an author? Or like me haven't ventured there yet? What do you think of using Facebook as a marketing tool?



8 comments:

  1. I'm not there yet. It's just my personal stuff. When I get published, I wouldn't use my personal page for marketing, but then I'd have to set up an author page as I'd like to keep them separate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I would do the exact same thing. Personal and Autor page. And probably change my name on my personal to maybe my first and middle name, so readers don't friend request my personal page. I wouldn't want to reject anybody, but I wouldn't want them to be amongst my family and friends. You know. Plus my personal life is pretty boring. They wouldn't be impressed. Just bored :)

      Delete
  2. I just barely started a fb author page... I'm not as into it as twitter, but I'm sure in the future it'll be helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Twitter. I definitely use that more than FB right now.

      Delete
  3. I really slack on my Author FB page. That is a great idea about posting about what I'm reading and asking questions.

    Thanks lady!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :) (I just made that happy face all wrong and had to delete and start over and I was like of course it was on Jen's comment. lol)

      Delete