Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Secondary Characters Bloghop!

Today is the day we've all been waiting for! At least I have!!! It's the Secondary Characters Bloghop! 
Sometimes secondary characters steal the show, (or the book) and become our favorites. We want you to tell us about your favorite secondary characters from books or movies, or both!
Whether it's the funny best friend or that goofy kid next door,
we want to know what secondary characters
you just couldn't get enough of and why.

Theresa Paolo, Kelley Lynn, Jessica SaylorJenny Morris and Suzi Retzlaff were all generous enough offer critiques as prizes! These ladies are brilliant, wonderful critiquers. I am also planning on giving away a three chapter critique along with an ebook of Secondary Characters, which releases on May 28th.
Cassie Mae and Kelley Lynn will also pick a winner to get either an ebook of Reasons I Fell for the Funny Fat Friend, or a signed copy of Fraction of Stone
So sign up over at Rachel's blog it's not too late!And Rachel Schieffelbein's debut novella comes out on the 28th! Make sure to order your copy!! Just click here.

I love when secondary characters steal the show! Sarah Dessen is one of my fave writers and one of the reasons I love her is because her secondary characters come to life. They make me want to jump into the book and become part of the friend group, community, work place, in which she has created. However, today I'm not going to talk about secondary characters from books. I'm going to go the movie route. 

When I think of secondary characters I think of John Hughes. From Buzz, Kevin McCallister's mean older brother in Home Alone to the Pigeon Lady in Home Alone 2 to Ferris' best friend, Cameron, in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. John Hughes is the master of secondary characters. I've picked two of my all time faves! 

Who doesn't know Long Duk Dong? And if you don't please go find a copy of Sixteen Candles and sit back and watch the awesomeness that is Dong. If you don't have time right now, I'll fill you in. Long Duk Dong is an exchange student living with the main character's, Samantha (Molly Ringwald) grandparents. He steals every scene he is in. And I can guarantee if you ask anyone what they remember about Sixteen Candles they will say Long Duk Dong.

My next favorite:
Iona from Pretty in Pink. She is Andie's (Molly Ringwald) boss and friend. From her wacky outfits and even more bizarre hairstyles to her outrageous personality, I fell in love with her from the very first minute she was on screen. I wanted to work for her. I mean she has to be the coolest boss ever! And her weapon of choice, a staple gun! I also love how she mentored Andie with years of her own mistakes and regrets.

Here's a clip of the awesome Iona:

Your turn! Who are your favorite secondary characters???

25 comments:

  1. I thought the Farmer Ted character in Sixteen Candles stole the show. He was such a cute dork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a moment and can't remember him!

      Delete
  2. Oh you mentioned Buzz from Home Alone! I love him.

    "A, I'm not that lucky. Two, we use smoke detectors and D, we live on the most boring street in the whole United States of America, where nothing even remotely dangerous will ever happen. Period."

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I love him! And that's my favorite line of his but I never realized he said A, 2, D now I love it even more!!!

      Delete
  3. Some '80's nostalgia here today. I made my teenage daughter watch 16 Candles, Pretty in Pink, and The Breakfast Club recently. She already liked Ferris Bueller's Day Off. She's now a HUGE fan of John Hughes' movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all teenagers should be required to watch these movies lol There is nothing like them!

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen Pretty in Pink or Sixteen Candles in soooo long! Now I want to go rewatch them!
    Thanks for cohosting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go rewatch them :) You'll be so happy you did!

      Anytime!!!!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love this walk down memory lane. Pretty in Pink has always been one of my favorites. And Long Duk Dong, is straight up genius. Cameron in Ferris Bueller too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long Duk Dong is straight up genius! I love that :)

      Delete
  6. I just watched Pretty in Pink the other day and I loved Annie's character. She's awesome. And you doesn't love Long Duk Dong!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great list and walk down memory lane. I loved Annie Potts in Pretty in Pink. She has this one line, "Applause, applause, applause." I still say it all the time when I do something good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favorite line! Every time I think of the movie that's the first thing that pops into my head.

      Delete
  8. Great picks! John Hughes certainly knew how to makes characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really did! There are so many I didn't even mention. I could've went on forever.

      Delete
  9. Iona was cool. And Long Duk Dong--he's a classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A total classic! "What's happenin', hot stuff?" LOL!

      Delete
  10. All fab choices! Buzz was a great character.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some of my favorite characters tend to be secondary characters. Example: Neville Longbottom. Love that kid.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are some fun characters. Dong had all the great lines.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Iona looks like loads of fun and I love that clip. Faves not on my list are Remus Lupin from Harry Potter and Rue from Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete