Tuesday, May 29, 2012

When to Stop?

I pulled another disappearing act. Sorry about that, but I'm back and with a topic I really want to get everyone's opinion on.

Something we aspiring writers are all too familiar with is the query letter. The usual conversation about the query gears towards developing the letter, what information is needed and how to get your voice across in a few short paragraphs. What I'm curious about today is after you have crafted that perfect query letter. You most likely have made a list of all the agents you want to query, including your top agents.

You've sent out the letter, maybe, hopefully received a request or many, but still no luck. When do you stop? When do you come to the point where you think it is time to just stop querying all together and put your manuscript back on the shelf?

Do you just go with the flow? Or do you have a set number of queries you are willing to send out before you pull the plug?

In the past what has always happened with me is while I'm querying I'm writing a new manuscript to keep my mind off my inbox. So by the time I finish the new manuscript I'm so gung ho about it I decide to put the other one away and start getting the new one up to par. Now looking back I wonder if I stopped querying too soon.

So let's get a conversation started. When do you stop querying?

10 comments:

  1. I'm exactly like you my dear! If by the time my next MS is 'done' I haven't gotten a bite I put it to the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking maybe I have to reevaluate that strategy lol. What about you?

      Delete
  2. Since I've only queried once, I'm sure the next time will be different. This querying period has stretched on because I queried too quickly--my ms wasn't ready.

    But I won't make that mistake again and then I'd probably be more like you. Quit when the next one is ready to query and once I've queried lots of agents. (20-30 is not a lot). I don't know what that number is, maybe I will when I get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always query to quickly. I need to learn patience. It's an ongoing battle. lol. And I always stop around 30 maybe I think I need to make a longer agent list.

      Delete
  3. I stop querying when I have the epiphany that my MS isn't actually ready to query! Seriously, that's what happened to me both times...but I could have carried on for ages if I hadn't realised. You know what they say, it might take a hundred rejections before you get a yes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has happened to me so many times and then when I stop querying, get it to where I want it, I realize I exhausted all my agent options. Combined I have a hundred rejections but that's with 6 manuscripts so if a hundred each, wow I have a way to go. lol.

      Oh and I mailed out your book. You should be getting it any day now.

      Delete
  4. I had a MS that I queried to over 80 agents and publishers three years ago. It had a lot of interest, but no one wanted it after reading the whole manuscript. I stopped because I realized I was marketing it all wrong. I've also changed the title and done a bunch of revisions to it since then too. I hope when I next query it, there will be an immense change.

    I've awarded you The Stylish Blogger Award on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete