Monday, May 7, 2012

Day 3 of the Dust It Off Bloghop


Can you believe it's day 3 already? I can't. I waited so long for the hop to start I can't believe it's almost over. However, day 3 is the day I have been looking forward to most. The pitches and excerpts were fantastic, far beyond anything I would have imagined and I am so curious to know what lessons you all learned. So lets get it started.

Day 3: Post what you learned from this WIP. You become a stronger, more rounded writer with (I totally wrote which on the first post. Oops) each manuscript and we want to know what this particular work taught you.

I learned so much from Prove Me Wrong where to even start. I guess with the background. Prove Me Wrong was I'd like to say the second manuscript I finished, but technically that is not true. It is the fourth. The three prior were a series of books and my first attempts at writing a complete novel. I loved those books but I believe they were meant for me and me alone. Prove Me Wrong was the one or so I thought. I read more, researched more,  basically gave it all I had. After querying my first book I was determined to get on the shelves and I honestly believed this was the book that would get me there. And it might have, but the big but. I jumped the gun. I read it over myself had a few people read it and once I got their approval I started querying. They liked the story itself, but as we as writers know, there is so much more to a book than just the story. It was riddled with mistakes, mistakes that I was blind to.

I shelved it after the twentieth or so rejection, but took it back out when I met Kelley (my CP for those that don't know). She read it sent it back to me with corrections and comments and after reading through her critique I was embarrassed that I had already sent it out to agents. What was I thinking? I wasn't. Obviously. I jumped the gun. I was so happy to write the end I never stopped to think that it needed more work. Reading it over two times didn't qualify as revising. I did give it another go, but still no bites. It was hard. It helped me build a tough skin though. I was so certain agents would love the concept and be begging to read more and when I received form rejection after form rejection I slowly began building that tough skin, the one that all writers need to have in order to survive this world.

The thing I remember most about this manuscript is the day I watched my mom read it. At the time we worked for the same company and I had printed it out and gave it to her. It was a slow work day and she had already read the first half so I stood by as she read through the second half. I was driving her crazy as I lingered over her, analyzed every face she made and kept asking if she was done yet. And I will never forget when she finished.

She looked up at me, smiled and said "This is it. This is the one." My mom had read my other manuscripts and always found something wrong with them. There was always something she didn't like or she thought needed to be overhauled. Most people think your mom will sugar coat it and make you believe you are amazing. Not my mom. She is about as honest as they come. She wouldn't let me set myself up for disappointment. I was prepared for her to say good try but it's missing something. The characters seem like cardboard cutouts. There are plot holes that need to be worked out. Not this manuscript. My mom actually told me it was the one. So as the rejections continued to come in, it hurt yes, but it didn't hurt as bad because I learned that my mom believed in me. She didn't think I was chasing an impossible dream. She believed in my manuscript and most importantly she believed in me. Out of all the lessons I have learned over the years of writing and querying I think that one is the most important.

So to sum it all up. The three things Prove Me Wrong taught me are:
1) Don't jump the gun
2) The power of a great critique partner
3) My mom has faith in me as a writer and I'm not chasing an impossible dream.

What about you? What have you learned from shelved WIP's?

28 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience. It's fantastic that your mum has such faith in you. Having that one person in your corner makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you really learned a LOT from your dusty MS! I love that, and it's great that even though it wasn't published (yet!), you still got lots out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned so much and now what I should do is take what I learned and go back and rewrite, but that will be for another day maybe year....

      Delete
  3. I did the same type of thing that you did with a different ms (not my Dust It Off), the one I'm currently querying. I just didn't know back then it was so bad. Wish I had waited on that instead of jumping into querying, but live and learn.

    Thanks so much for the terrific blog hop and the motivation to pull my project back out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get so excited though when you're finished you can't wait to throw it out there. I think that is the hardest part, having restraint. lol

      Your welcome and yay for motivation! It was exactly what I was hoping for!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for hosting this! I learned so much and it was stuff I never knew that I had to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep saying it was my pleasure but it seriously was. I'm so happy you were able to learn so much! I've been at it for awhile now and I can honestly say the learning never ends :)

      Delete
  5. What a great story, and I love your mom's reaction! I totally jumped the gun while querying mine too--big mistake, lol!! Theresa, this has been a blast! Thanks so much for letting me host with you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom's the best!

      Jumping the gun is just too easy to do. If only there was a way for my computer to smack me every time I do. I'd be getting slapped a lot!

      This has been so much fun! More than I can imagine and my expectations were high! And thanks for hosting with me. Our first bloghop how cool is that!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, thank you for hosting this bloghop! It was so nice to see everyone's work and to be excited about mine again ...
    Second, I also jumped the gun with my first manuscript and I know now that I wasn't thinking LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay about getting excited again that is exactly what I was hoping for.

      Delete
  8. I'm always grateful I put the brakes on when I was jumping the gun at 12 years old. I'd be so embarrassed if I'd had my writing at that age published, years before I knew about self-editing and had become a stronger writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think it's amazing that you had getting published on your mind at 12!

      Delete
  9. I totally jumped the gun too.

    Also, my mother is equally incapable of anything but the honest truth, so when she says something is good, it is. When she says it has problems: it has problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our moms are exactly alike and I don't know about you but I wouldn't want mine any other way :)

      Delete
  10. Gun jumper here as well. I learned that my mom is a great cheerleader but a terrible critique partner. She loved every word and didn't want me to change a thing :) Thanks again for this blog hop. It's been so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend like that. God bless her because she read all of my ms's, even the ones that are so cringeworthy, and loved them all. And she still loves my first ms the best. Go figure.

      Delete
  11. I'm guilty of jumping the gun too. It takes a while to learn patience. And yes, a good critique partner is invaluable. This bloghop has been fantastic! Thank you for hosting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience is the hardest thing to learn. That's what my mom said to me when I started explaining this business to her. She said something along the lines of, Theresa, for someone as impatient as you.... lol

      Delete
  12. Awww, that's ME! :)

    I seriously love everything you write. Not that there aren't things to change or correct but the important parts, the parts that make a story magical, you have them all. I still remember all your characters, without even looking back.

    Hailey and Luke
    Anna and Dean
    Kylie and Braydon and Jack and Drew
    Liz and Zach
    Millie and Shane and Jimmy

    They stick with me. That's the mark of a true writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's you!!! lol

      And Aww! I love that you remember all their names because that's how I refer to all my ms's by the characters names. I'm sure you picked up on that. I'm querying Millie. I decided to shelf Anna and Dean. That's so awesome you remembered all of them!

      And double Aww! Thanks, Kelley!

      Delete
  13. I jumped the gun with some picture books I wrote (many moons ago.) I'm so embarrassed when I think about it now!
    That's so sweet about your mom. :) It's awesome to know that the people close to you don't just think you're nuts, isn't it? ;)
    Thank you so much for hosting this! It was a wonderful idea and it's been great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the worst thinking back! The embarrassment is cringe worthy at least for me it is!

      And it is so nice knowing the people close to me don't think I"m nuts! Well when it comes to writing! lol.

      Delete
  14. Great lessons :) I did exactly the same as you with the other MS I've just shelved - sent it out, got rejected, had it critiqued and was mortified that I'd thought it was anywhere near ready! Oh well, live and learn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like everyone jumps the gun the first time out. The point is to learn from it the first time unlike me who has done it almost every time. Live and Learn is right! :)

      Delete