Thursday, October 6, 2011

Our Modern Day DaVinci


If you knew me you would know that I'm not huge on technology. I don't need the newest phone or the newest computer. It just needs to work. I have the original iPod Nano and to be honest I have a strong love hate relationship with Mac computers and I tend to lean towards the hate side. However, so many of my friends and family rely on their iPhones, iPods, iPads, and Mac computers. Steve Jobs was an innovator. A master of technology and our modern day DaVinci. He was the epitome of an icon, technological, historical. Not many people can say they have changed the world. Steve Jobs can because he did. 


One of my favorite quotes from him is:


"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything -- all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish."


These are words that anybody can relate to whether you are an inventor, designer, writer, teacher, and they are words that strike a chord within me. Fear and embarrassment of failure tend to hold me back and for what? In the end all fear and embarrassment will mean nothing and if you let it control you when it comes your time all you will be left with it is regret. I don't want to regret any of the choices I make. And for that to happen I have to stay hungry and stay foolish. 


Even though I'm not a diehard Apple fan like most of the world I still gasped when I read the headline that Steve Jobs passed away. He was 56 years old. Too young. Way, way too young. So I just want to take this time to say F U Cancer. You took another life way too soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment