Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Chain Reaction by Simone Elkeles

Chain Reaction is the third and final book in Simone Elkeles' Perfect Chemistry Series. In the first book, Perfect Chemistry we are introduced to the Fuentes family as the book focuses on the oldest brother, Alex. The second book Rules of Attraction focuses on the middle brother Carlos and this book follows the youngest of the Fuentes brothers, Luis.

A quick overview from the Barnes and Noble website:

Luis Fuentes has always been sheltered from the gang violence that nearly destroyed his brothers’ lives. But that hasn’t stopped him from other thrill-seeking behavior—like scaling a mountain in the Rockies or dreaming of a future as an astronaut. Nikki Cruz lives her life by three rules—boys lie to get their way, don’t trust a boy who says "I love you," and never date a boy from the south side of Fairfield. Then she meets Luis at his brother Alex’s wedding, and suddenly she’s tempted to break all her rules.

Getting Nikki to take a chance on a south sider is Luis’s biggest challenge, until he finds himself targeted by Chuy Soto, the new head of the Latino Blood. When Chuy reveals a disturbing secret about Luis’s family, the youngest Fuentes finds himself questioning everything he’s ever believed to be true. Will his feelings for Nikki be enough to stop Luis from entering a dark and violent world?


I absolutely love the Fuentes brothers. Alex is still my favorite and I love how his story continues through to this book.

While I didn't love this book as much as I did Perfect Chemistry I still really liked it. I loved how Luis and Nikki first met, their first interactions and how she wouldn't fall for his charm. I liked how Luis wasn't the typical Fuentes brother. He participated in sports, cared about his grades and had dreams and aspirations.

The last hundred pages were amazing, but the pages before that, weren't as amazing. I felt like the amazing parts were rushed and could have been drawn out a little more. Mainly because I wanted more of the action of the story lines that I came to love in this series. There was a lot of buildup to the action, but with Perfect Chemistry the buildup added to the action, in this book I felt like it slowed me down in getting to the action. If that makes sense. I don't want to give specifics for those that have not read it yet, so sorry if what I'm saying sounds vague.

Still Simone Elkeles created characters that are easy to fall in love. Characters you root for from the very beginning and she brings you into their world. I could visualize the story unfolding as if I was watching a movie. Hollywood seems to be lacking for movie ideas lately and I think this series could be a hit on the big screen.

If you have yet to enter the Fuentes' world don't wait another minute. You will love these boys and their stories.

Currently Reading:

4 comments: