Monday, October 24, 2011

The Bronx Zoo

The greatest thing about living on Long Island is that I am surrounded by amazing places. One of my favorite places in New York is the Bronx Zoo. Among the chaos and hustle bustle of life in the city there is this serene haven of beautiful creatures. It's a must.

I try to go twice a year. It's been awhile since my last visit so I couldn't wait to get back. A few weeks ago I made the trip in and visited all of my favorite spots.

We'll start with the obvious. The lions and tigers and bears, oh my! For the first time ever the tigers were front and center. It took a long time to get the perfect picture since hundreds of people were trying to do the same, but my patience paid off. I think my picture came out pretty damn good.

My favorite bear is the polar bear. Most of the time it's sprawled out on a rock, basking in the sun. This trip was no different. However, in my attempt to get a picture, the polar bear gave me a little glance over the shoulder. Okay maybe it wasn't a glance, but it was better than the back of its head. So I'll take it.

The place that I love the most is in the Asia area of the zoo. It used to be free to access but now they charge to get inside. I wasn't exactly thrilled about that at first but once inside I was actually grateful for it. I went to the zoo on a beautiful day and it was crowded. And when I say crowded I mean people pushing their way past you in order to get a glimpse of whatever animal you are trying to see. So when we got inside and there wasn't a million kids running in circles or pushy parents, the money issue was no longer an issue. In a way by making us pay, the zoo was preserving my favorite spot. Now for the reasons of why it is my favorite spot in the entire zoo. I' won't tell you. I will show you:

 The Bronx Zoo is huge. I haven't even touched on half of the exhibits. So if you ever plan on going make sure you wear sensible shoes. The best time to go is when the air is slightly cooler. If you go in the summer when it is hot and humid you will have wet armpits and you will be miserable. You can do it. I have. And that is why I am warning you against it. You can do with my advice as you wish. Just know you have been warned. Honestly my favorite time to visit the zoo is when the weather is much cooler. Winter coat cooler. It's cold don't get me wrong, but the zoo is quiet. Who is crazy enough to go walk around a zoo in a New York winter? My point exactly. You can walk for hours and not see a single person. Some of the exhibits are closed during this time. It doesn't make it any less of an experience. It makes it more. The giraffes are in an area where you can get up close and personal and you can stand there for hours just admiring how amazing they are. While I recommend the zoo in the winter I do not recommend the light show they have for the holidays. The last time I went half the lights were broken and there were so few of them that it really wasn't worth it. Go for the animals. Nothing else. And you will love it. 

Have you been to the Bronx Zoo? What is your favorite animal to see?  What is your favorite zoo?





Tomorrow on the blog: Holly Lane by Toni Blake

2 comments:

  1. You are a fantastic photographer! Wow. Really cool.

    I went to school at UW-Madison. They have a small zoo in the city limits, within walking distance of the campus. It's free too. They had lion cubs the last year I was there. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You have taken some great pictures. I loved the zoo in Chicago. It was small and a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete