Saturday, June 26, 2010

~My take on Midnight Sun~

The Twilight Saga CollectionIt's no secret that I am a fan of the Twilight Series, I am not at all embarrassed to admit to it. The reason I bring this up is because I just read part of an interview that Stephanie Meyer had given on the topic of her unfinished book Midnight Sun, basically it's Twilight but through Edwards eyes instead of the original which is through Bella's eyes. I have read the first two hundred and something pages that she posted for her fans to read since it was supposedly leaked to begin with. I really enjoyed what she had and really hoped she would follow through with the book and finish it. However, in this interview she talks about how she is burned out on Vampires and how the fun has been taken out of Midnight Sun and it feels more like homework. Now call me crazy especially looking at this at a writers point of view, yes writing can be fun creating the story seeing where the characters lead you but after that it is homework. Revising, rereading and trying to make it the best you possibly can. No matter what it is a job and I think as an inspiring writer that that excuse just doesn't cut it. Her fans are eagerly awaiting the finished manuscript and she's just tanking out on us. That's like writing a series and after giving an insight into the next book in the series you decide you no longer want to write it. I don't feel it's fair. I might just be being a fan who is disappointed at her disinterest in completing the manuscript, but I don't think I'm being unreasonable. She went ahead and released The Short Life of Bree Tanner which I bought but quite honestly without the Bella and Edward aspect I'm not sure if I will love it as much. Midnight Sun on the other hand I was hooked on the little bit that I had read and only wanted more. It's such a tease to give us a little and then not follow through with the rest. She has fans who have supported her and who have made her a fortune and with that said may I just say Mrs. Meyer even if you don't finish Midnight Sun for yourself finish it for your fans who have been completely faithful to you. Sometimes work isn't fun, but in the end it will be rewarding.

1 comment: