Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My take on the Broadway Play American Idiot.


On Sunday I went to see American Idiot on Broadway and I just have to say I absolutely loved it. I laughed, smiled, bobbed my head to the music and even came close to shedding a tear or two. I love Green Day and I have since third grade. I bought their cassette tape and played it over and over until it no longer worked. As musicians I think they have grown a great deal and have experienced so much and because of this their current hits hold an enormous amount of realism, advice and understading. The play had barely any dialogue but because their lyrics hold so much meaning dialogue isnt necessary.
I watched a mother walk out with her (to guess) ten year old daugter and I also watched two older men walk out. Why, I have no idea. Before you even enter the theatre itself there are signs everywhere explaining explicit drug use will be shown. I don't understand how people can be offended by this play since it is reality. Every day there is another person falling into the habit of drug use, every day a person leaves home in search of their dreams and every day a person realizes that sometimes your dreams don't come true. That is the basis of American Idiot and for people to be offended by this is mind boggling to me. I can relate to every aspect of the play and I think any teenager or twenty something year old will be able to as well. I saw the play with my mom and said this to her and she agreed but she also said that she could relate to every aspect because it was remenscent of when she grew up during the Vietnam War. It just shows that some things don't change. War is still very much apart of our lives as is the search for who you are and the obstacles you have to face in order to find yourself. I guess what I am trying to say is if you have the opportunity to go see American Idiot jump on it and go in with an open mind and realize that they are not sugar coating a thing. It is as real as it gets.

2 comments: