Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"Evernight" by Claudia Gray

I just finished reading Evernight by Claudia Gray and I just have to say finally, finally a book that sucked me in completely. I didn't want to put it down. I wanted to know what would happen next. Several twists and turns and unexpected situations really made this book a page turner. What I loved the most was it wasn't your typical vampire book. It was different yet to me the relationship was more reminiscent of Buffy and Angel, two people madly in love no matter how wrong it may be. The only thing I would not complain about but not necessarily like is that the feelings developed way too fast for me. Granted teenagers tend to fall head over heels instantly I felt this needed a little more build up or interaction between the two characters before such intense feelings were felt. I think of Twilight in this aspect and granted Bella and Edward did fall for each other quickly I still think there was more of a build up and you as the reader were apart of that. However, once you get further into the story it doesn't really matter how quickly they fell for each other so that is why it's not a big deal.

I like all of the characters. Lucas to me is the guy most girls like, the badass who always seems to be getting himself in trouble but as a girl you can see there is more to him then the badass exterior and in his case there definitely is. Bianca is likeable and being the voice of the book is definitely a good thing. She threw me for a surprise (spoiler alert) during her first kiss with Lucas. I almost forgot the book was about vampires since until that part there really was no mention of them other then Dracula. That was probably one of my favorite parts of the book. Also when she found Lucas in the antique shop at the end and the whole lead up until his mom walked into their hotel room. Balthazar I like too and I just have a strange hunch that there will be more to come of him in the next book. Raquel I'm waiting for her to figure out what Evernight really is because from the very beginning she has been suspicious and I'm just waiting for something to click for her. I have the second book Stargazer but I'm scared if I start reading I won't be able to stop and considering it's 11A.M. and I still haven't got dressed for the day I think I should hold off. However as soon as I finish reading I will let you know what I think.

If you want to check out Evernight I would highly recommend it and you know if you read the first book you have to continue on with the series. Which reminds me I have to buy the third installment in the Evernight series:

Evernight (Evernight, Book 1)
Stargazer (Evernight)Hourglass (Evernight)

1 comment: