Friday, October 8, 2010

Torment by Lauren Kate

Torment (Fallen)I finished Torment and well I'm a little disappointed. I knew going into it that there was going to be another book in the series, but it ends on such a cliff hanger that I was left kind of annoyed actually. Book one, Fallen, was the story of Luce meeting Daniel again, but for the first time in this lifetime and you follow them falling in love Daniel over again and Luce for the first time, kind of. It's a little confusing especially if you haven't read the book. However, regardless of that you get some back story in the first book not much but some and then the second book I was expecting to get the whole story to start to understand the secrets that Daniel has kept from Luce yet you learn almost nothing. While it was good it wasn't what I thought. I think two hundred pages could have been cut out and replaced with more information. I'm wondering if this book was just like the lead in to the next installment, meaning this book while vital to the story line is just a stepping stone to get it started. Which in all honesty kinda sucks especially since the next installment doesn't come out until spring or summer 2011. I don't feel Torment really had it's own plot just another love triangle that I could've done without. I was actually really annoyed as it was developing. I knew it was coming and I was hoping as I turned each page that I'd be wrong. I wasn't.

I remember falling in love with Luce and Daniel in Fallen but in Torment Luce was getting on my nerves. She was so indecisive about everything unable to make up her mind. I wanted to reach through the book and shake her. If you can't make up your mind about one relationship don't jump into another relationship. It also annoyed me that every time Daniel and her did see each other they got into a fight. It kind of made me dread him coming around because I knew where it was going. I know things can't be happy all the time, but everytime he comes around, really? (I'm venting here I just hope it's coherent.) I only hope that in the third installment we will finally have answers to all the questions.

 I was happy to see Arianne return. I loved her character in Fallen and she was just as spunky in this book. Shelby got on my nerves a little bit as well and then with the whole relevation of why she didn't like Luce in the beginning *Spoiler* all because her and Daniel had a thing once upon a time. Which doesn't even really get explained. At all. I'm still confused about that. It was a bit weird. Kind of out of left field. Not expecting it and in some cases I wouldn't mind but for this book it didn't help with the plot it just seemed to be thrown in. So I hope it gets explained in the third book.

I'm not going to say I didn't like it because I did I just hoped for more. I am invested into the lives of these characters and I want to know what will come of all of them which is why I will be on line the day Passion goes on bookshelves.

2 comments: