Thursday, October 21, 2010

Halloween Then and Now

Hocus PocusLast night I was so excited to see that Hocus Pocus was on. I can still remember going to the movie theater with my mom when it was released back in 1993 and I remember being really scared. I think it had something to do with Bette Midler and the crazy buckteeth she sported for the movie. As I watched the movie I kept finding myself smiling and it wasn't just a tug on the lip, no, it was full on little kid giddy smiling. For the two hours the movie was on I felt like I was nine again. When the credits began to roll I was disappointed that I had to return to reality and then it got me thinking about what Halloween was like when I was younger compared to what it's not now.

Halloween has always been my second favorite holiday coming in right behind Christmas. Now Halloween is no longer in the number two spot it's been replaced by Thanksgiving. Suprised? If your older I doubt it but if your younger I'm sure you are. It's strange really as you get older and as the Halloween costumes made for your size seem to get skimpier every year the holiday just loses its luster. I'm too old to go trick or treating with my friends which to me was the epitome of Halloween and when you take that away what's left? I can go to a bar dressed up and have a few drinks with my friends but other than the costume how is that different than any other Saturday night?

I think back to Halloween when I was a kid and it's funny how many of them I can actually recall. I was a cheerleader one year and went trick or treating with my brother, my cousin and my aunt. I was also Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, a cat, a soccer player, a goth, a hobo and a witch I can't even tell you how many times that seemed to be my costume all of elementary school. I also was a fifties girl one year and I remember being so upset because our wood floors were being redone and we had to stay at my grandparents house a half hour away from home and didn't think Halloween would be the same, but of course my parents made it a Halloween I will never forget.

As I got older and out of high school I did have a few good costumes. One year I was Betty Boop (I really just wanted an excuse to rewear my prom dress). Another year I was an Elf who worked in wrapping and the year I went to the Village Parade in NYC I was Lucille Ball. I think I looked great even had tourists come up and yell it's Lucy and then ask to get their picture taken with me. As an adult that was probably one of my best Halloween's. At frst I was hesitant about going to the Village riding the subway on Halloween and it was the total opposite of what I was expecting. My friends and I met such amazing people on the subway and the costumes! The costumes these people came up with were the most creative and unbelievably awesome costumes I have ever seen. My favorites included a group of guys who were tetris pieces, a hot air balloon, and a milk cartoon with the guys face in the spot where a missing persons ad was (which now is pretty common but then it wasn't and so funny.)

I actually don't know where I am going with this post. In my mind when I started writing I had a direction and now I'm enjoying my recollections of Halloween's Past too much. I guess what my intention to say all along is that I miss getting home from school on Halloween and having my mom help me get ready into my costume and then whether it was just me and my mom trick or treating or me and a huge group of friends going out and knocking on every door ringing every bell until my legs couldn't hold me up anymore. Then the best part of the night going home dumping the candy on the table and after my parents did their inspection rumaging through my loot figuring out what piece I wanted to eat first. Oh man and if Halloween was on a Saturday or Sunday that was a marathon event and they were always the best Halloweens. This year Halloween is on a Sunday and my boyfriend and I have no plans. None whatsoever and I'd be okay with that if we actually got Trick or Treaters because I love seeing kids on Halloween, talking to them about their costumes and see how long they've been knocking on doors, but in our apartmemt complex we have very few kids and we are in the back of the building and if you don't live here you probably wouldn't even know there are apartments in the back. The first year we moved in I went crazy on Halloween buying a ton of candy and not one kid showed. I did it again last year and lets just say I still have Halloween candy in my cabinet. :(

Some people say when you have kids Halloween becomes what it used to again because you are reliving it as your kids are living it for the first time. I guess I'll just have to wait and see since having kids is not exaclty in my near future. Is this true?

Would love to hear any and all comments. What are your favorite Halloween memories? What was yor favorite costume? And as you got older did Halloween lose it's luster as it did for me?

As for the pictures I only have current pics all of my Halloween pictures as a kid are at my parents house.







4 comments:

  1. My boyfriend's favorite holiday is still Halloween. And I have several friends who claim it's their favorite as well. Christmas is still my #1 and Thanksgiving is #2 as well.

    I'm not sure when the change happens..Maybe it's because you don't trick or treat as an adult? Or it doesn't hold the same majestic power it did as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right it just doesn't hold the same majestic power it once did or then again it could have everything to do with not going tirck or treating. Maybe I should borrow one of my friends kids and give it a go and see if I can get the feeling back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey...ya never know..it just might work! Dressing up doesn't seem to do it. Or..maybe it is that we view candy differently. Yes, we still like it, but we associate calories with it now, and we didn't as children. So we feel slightly guilty when we think of all the candy we want to eat; or do eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another really good point. I remember showing up to school and for lunch I would pull out my bag of candy and that was my lunch now I won't even let anyone put candy in the plastic pumpkins at work in fear I'll eat it.

    ReplyDelete