Monday, April 30, 2012

Counting Down and Downton Abbey!


The Count down begins!!

Get your pitches ready for the Dust It Off Bloghop! And if you haven't signed up don't worry there is still time.

We've all had those manuscripts that we poured our heart into, fell in love with the characters and still think of them at random, but unfortunately had to shelf. Now it's time for a little spring cleaning. Take out those manuscripts and Dust It Off!

May 3rd starts us off:
We want you to post a 1-2 sentence pitch (Great way to practice pitches) about the shelved WIP.

The Dust It Off Bloghop will be three days, May 3rd, 5th and 7th. Hope to see you there.



Now that is out of the way, let's talk Downton Abbey. Did I just see a few of you sit up straighter in your chairs? Rightfully so. This is a show to talk about. Have you seen it?

I'm halfway through season two and it's taking all my will power not to leave my desk, park my rear on my couch and finish out the season. First off I'm a huge history buff so combine that with forbidden love affairs, manipulative servants, and family drama and you have my dream show.

I don't want to give much away for those who have yet to watch it, but I will say it was a show I picked up on DVD after hearing all the buzz and while buzz tends to let me down this time it didn't. The first episode of the first season starts with the sinking of the Titanic and how it affects the family of Downton Abbey. As the season moves on the fear of War becomes a pressing issue and in season 2 we step into WWI. Again you see the effects this event has, but not just on the family but on the servants as well.

The thing I love the most about the show is that they don't focus just on the family of the house or just on the servants that make the house run smoothly. It focuses on both. It is the perfect combination and when I watch the scenes with the servants I feel like I'm getting a peek behind the scenes. I get to see what the family doesn't. With so many characters it's a wonder to keep track of them, but after the first episode you will know everyone and have strong opinions about them.

So in the comments let's talk Downton Abbey. First lesson for those that have not had the chance to watch, it is DownTON Abbey not Downtown- I made that mistake. We all did, right?

12 comments:

  1. I have my posts for the Dust It Off Bloghop all done and scheduled ;)
    As for Downton Abbey ... it didn't hook me. I watched 2 episodes. Perhaps I should push through and watch a few more, since everyone is a super fan of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Can't wait to read your posts :)

      It is a little slow moving, I didn't really get hooked in until a few episodes in.

      Delete
  2. Gaaah, I love Downton Abbey!!! I definitely got hooked. I HATED Mary at first but she grew on me, and I just love all the characters and the story. Thomas is a nasty snitch who needs to be fired, btw. Just my opinion. ;)

    SO EXCITED for our bloghop, Theresa!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated Mary too and then I just felt bad for her and actually now *gasp* really like her. Though Sybil is my favorite. And Thomas Ugh! I can't stand him and I think I would even like O'Brian if it wasn't for him. He brings out the worst in everyone!

      Delete
    2. I hit reply too fast lol. I'm so excited too I can't wait. :)

      Delete
  3. Love, love, love DOWNTON ABBEY. I bought both seasons on blu-ray so I can watch them as many times as I want. I know, pathetic, right? :) Such a great show. I love that even the villainous characters——O'Brien and Thomas——are not 100% evil. There are episodes that actually make me care a little about them, that show these people growing and changing a bit as human beings.

    I too am a history buff and loved the way this show touches on interesting points in history. I appreciate also that the Crawleys aren't cruel to their servants. Quite the contrary, actually. Great show, and I'll probably end up wearing out my blu-rays. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second season I really started to not mind O'Brien anymore even though we know why she has had a change of heart, but still I kind of like her. Thomas I don't know I really despise him. You think there might be an ounce of good in him and then he does something and then I feel like I was fooled lol.

      I also love that the Crawley's aren't cruel to the servants. It's as if they are family and rightfully so, they see each other more than most people see their own family.

      And Ma Ma oh my god I love her. She cracks me up.

      I'm impatiently waiting season 3. The Roaring 20's!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh! DownTON Abbey!!! Got it :) I should get on it and watch this.

    SO pumped for the bloghop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you should! lol. Did you watch Tangled yet?

      And Yay me too!!!

      Delete
  5. Can't wait, Theresa! What a great bloghop :) Do you know how I could post the widget on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I did. lol Someone asked me that question and I couldn't answer it. I felt so clueless. You can post the badge and link it back to mine or Cortney's blog if you want.

      Can't wait to read your entry. It's going to be so much fun!

      Delete