Sunday, September 12, 2010

Review of The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella (Twilight Saga)I finished reading the Short Second Life of Bree Tanner the other day and as you all know I am a huge Twilight fan and this Novella from Stephenie Meyer, while I think unnecessary, did not disappoint. It was interesting to see a different take on the series, to see things from the so called "bad" vampires perspective.

At first I didn't know what to expect when I bought the book. I didn't know where Stephenie Meyer was going to take the story of Bree and I have to say I was pleased with the story line. I liked Bree as a character but other than knowing she was fifteen/sixteen by being told I don't think I would've figured that out. Basically if her age was never stated she could have been twenty one when she was turned for all the reader knew. At times she seemed her age to an extent but at other times not so much. Granted it's a small detail but nonetheless it's a detail and an important one I feel. Bree's age is what makes the story so compelling in the first place. 

Diego the guy who befriends Bree which quickly turns into a romance was a good asset to the story. I just wish that there would have been more for them. I know *Spoiler Alert*, as if you don't know, Bree dies at the end of Eclipse but I felt reading her own story that it ended too quickly.  I wanted her and Diego to have more time together. But because they didn't have more time together I was able to sympathize with Bree and at the end I found myself mourning her. Her human life ended too quickly and then her life as a vampire ended even quicker right at the moment where it seemed she was finally starting it.

 I also liked the other vampire Fred. Even though he used his gift to repel people from paying attention to him Bree is able to look past this and take refuge beside him. They become friends in a way that is different from your typical friendship and I found myself wanting them to survive and take off and start their own coven. Obviously that couldn't happen because again of the outcome of Eclipse, but I was happy that Fred was able to do so, but now I am left wondering what happened to Fred. Where did he go? Was he able to survive? Did he live a life like the Cullens or stay on a a diet of human blood. I know I'm going way off topic and thinking to far into it, but that's what I like about Stephenie Meyer. While she may not be the greatest writer she has a way of developing characters who you can easily take a liking to and who you want to know more about. Now The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner did not have me up at ridiculous hours needing to know what happened next like the rest of the Twilight series it still captured my interest. So I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment