Friday, November 4, 2011

I Love Dark YA Blogfest

Where did this week go? *Looks under desk* I seriously feel like I just blinked and it went from Monday to Friday. I'm just going to blame it on NaNo. In the beginning of the month I signed on to participate in YAtopia's I Love Dark YA. Each week of November I am supposed to have a post with that weeks topic. It's supposed to be posted by Wednesday so obviously I am a little behind. You don't have to post every week, however, I love this weeks topic. So even if it is late I am still posting. I'll try to be on time in the weeks to come.

This weeks topic: Blog about your favorite Dark YA books.

Where to begin? The book that comes to mind immediately is Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers. This is the first book I read by this author and I was sucked into the emotions and depth of the main character, Eddie. Her father committed suicide and she is unable to come to terms with it. She is drowning in depression as she constantly searches for the reason why. Her best friend is there with her every step of the way but she pushes him away. Soon she meets Culler, Evans a former student of her father who seems to know more about him than she ever did. An attraction starts as they both try to piece the puzzle together.

This book is not a light read. It is dark, emotional and brings you on a journey that when you are finished all you want to do is cry or reach through the pages and hug Eddie. At times I would get frustrated when she would push her best friend away but I got it. When you fall into depression you tend to push away the people that you love the most. As a writer I learned a lot from this book. Courtney Summer brought the characters to life on the page and I felt every single one of Eddie's emotions and I feel that is what every writer should set out to do.

Another Dark YA Book that I loved is Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson. From my previous review: 
Tyler Miller has always been somewhat of a nerd, invisible among his classmates, until he gets caught for spray painting graffiti on school property. After a summer of community service and a labor intense job he is back at school with a new body and reputation. The girl he has been lusting after, his dad's boss’s daughter and sister to his enemy, for a majority of his teen year’s takes notice. You would think this is the part where things begin to look up for Tyler but a web of deceit turns his life upside down. (I don't want to give too much away for those who have not read the book yet.) 


I read this book in less than a day. This book for me is the perfect example of voice. Tyler's voice was so strong throughout this book that at times I felt like I was actually in his head. I felt for him. And even though I read the book in a short amount of time Tyler's voice stuck with me for days. 
There are so many more that I love but these two books really captured the voice and the emotions for me. 


What are your favorite Dark YA books? 

2 comments:

  1. I loved Twisted, but I haven't read Courtney Summers yet.

    I'm hopping over from the blogfest list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good book and I can't wait to read more from Courtney Summer.

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete