Friday, August 26, 2011

Overdone in YA

Recently I read a blog, a popular blog, but I can't seem to remember which one. Anyway on the blog they had people submitting their lists of what they think is overdone in YA lit. I decided to write my own list after stumbling upon one of those in the current book I am reading.

1) Fencing. I have a friend, one friend, that did fence in high school, but she is the only person I have ever met that even had the option to do so. Whatever happened to soccer and volleyball?

2) Boarding Schools. Do you know anybody that actually went to boarding school? I don't. Maybe Catholic School but definitely not boarding school.

3) A girl falling in love with a guy that is not human. Switch it up. I think that is why I like Beautiful Creatures so much. The girl is the supernatural not the boy. Take note.

4) A girl falling in love with a guy that is not human and if they consummate their relationship something horrible will happen. The Immortal Series, Hush Hush, Haunting Emma, I can keep going, but you get the point. It has been done and it has been done well so move on.

5) Absent parents Though, I admit I fall into this category. However, in reality my parents were a huge part of my teenage years they were huge pains in my ass actually. I'm sure most teenagers would agree to this.

6) Love triangles when it is obvious who the girl is going to pick in the end. Boring and aggravating.

7) Damsel in Distress. I don't know if you've noticed but it is 2011. Girls are strong and independent they don't need a guy to save them every five seconds. If you want a little damsel in distress fine, but don't let that define who the girl is.

8) Red Hair. Is red the new blonde?

9) Series. Whatever happened to stand alone books? I admit that I wrote a series myself and I do love series, but having to wait up to a year for the next installment, well to be honest, it sucks. I read so many other books in between by the time the next book comes out I have a hard time remembering what I read in the first book.

10) Lab Partners. I don't think I even need to elaborate. I'm sure you all can name at least five books where the lead character falls for her lab partner.

I'm sure I can think of more but these are the ones that have been standing out the most to me. Do you agree with my list? Are these ten overdone? Do you have any to add to the list? I would love to hear your thoughts.

5 comments:

  1. Boarding schools, YES! Lab partners, so over that. Non-human love interests -- not my favorite, but it is selling. What I really hate is average looking, brown hair, brown eyed, new girl falls for the super-hot, super popular, brooding senior star!

    Absent Parents . . . I don't think parents need to play a huge role in YA lit. I think the need to stay way in the background and be sprinkled in very sparingly to heighten conflict or anchor your MC's living situation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes the average looking girl and super hot guy. That seems to be in every book I pick up lately.

    I also agree with what you say about parents in YA. They don't need to have a huge role, but I think they should make an appearance here and there even if it is just a phone call to check in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! That is funny and very true.
    A lot of boarding school. I do wonder about the series. There are not a lot of stand alone books.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Just stumbled on your blog over at Ladies Who Critique and wanted to say hello.

    You know what's funny, I know all these things are so over done, and yet I'm still guilty of at least half of them. Maybe not the red hair, or the damsel in distress, but definitely the girl falling in love with a supernatural boy.

    I think that's just a habit I'm never going to break.

    -Your newest follower!
    http://pawsfangsandsmiles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete