Sunday, August 7, 2011

Love Story by Jennifer Echols.

Love StoryI'm going to start off by saying I absolutely loved this book, that is, until the last page. Before I get into it here is a quick overview of Love Story from Jennifer Echols website:


SHE'S WRITING ABOUT HIM. HE'S WRITING ABOUT HER. AND EVERYBODY IS READING BETWEEN THE LINES. For Erin Blackwell, majoring in creative writing at the New York City college of her dreams is more than a chance to fulfill her ambitions--it's her ticket away from the tragic memories that shadow her family's racehorse farm in Kentucky. But when she refuses to major in business and take over the farm herself someday, her grandmother gives Erin's college tuition and promised inheritance to their maddeningly handsome stable boy, Hunter Allen. Now Erin has to win an internship and work late nights at a coffee shop to make her own dreams a reality. She should despise Hunter . . . so why does he sneak into her thoughts as the hero of her latest writing assignment?
Then, on the day she's sharing that assignment with her class, Hunter walks in. He's joining her class. And after he reads about himself in her story, her private fantasies about him must be painfully clear. She only hopes to persuade him not to reveal her secret to everyone else. But Hunter devises his own creative revenge, writing sexy stories that drive the whole class wild with curiosity and fill Erin's heart with longing. Now she's not just imagining what might have been. She's writing a whole new ending for her romance with Hunter . . . except this story could come true. 


The first few pages start with the story Erin has written about Hunter and while it takes place in another time and the names are different it is evident who the characters are based on. I didn't think I would like reading short stories within a book, but the way Jennifer Echols did it I actually enjoyed reading these stories and wished there might have been one or two more. 

The chemistry between Erin and Hunter is tangible on the page every time they are in a scene together you can't deny the connection. I was rooting for them from the very beginning even when Erin despised him. Though, there were moments when you question Hunter's intentions and wonder if he really is a good guy or if he may be using Erin and her family to benefit himself. The last few pages had me glued to the words. Talk about full on blow up that had me wanting to be in the classroom with them just so I could see their faces and the reactions of everyone else. However, once I got to the last page, I flipped to continue reading and there was nothing left to read. I flipped the last page back and forth wondering if the copy I had failed to print the last chapter, but after reading other reviews I realized there were no pages missing, that was it. The ending was so abrupt that I was left lost. Granted I could make up in my mind what was going to happen next but why should I have to? I like stories that have a clean ending and figure it all out for me. I want to walk away going that was perfect not !#$%?! 

*SPOILER ALERT* It was obvious at least in my mind that Erin was going to forgive Hunter and vice versa but I wanted the chemistry to show again. I wanted to be a part of the makeup. Also she never did confront her grandmother and never did get to talk with her. By the way it ended we can assume that was what she was going to do after arriving in Kentucky, but after hearing so much about the grandmother and their relationship or lack thereof I wanted to witness the interaction. Though, if Jennifer Echols wanted to write a sequel she left herself wide open to do so and I actually really hope that she does. Because Love Story was an amazing book and I just want to know what happens next.Even though I know Jennifer Echols is against writing sequels and you can read why on her website, but to argue I would say that Erin and Hunter *SPOILER ALERT* never kissed and made up and she still has all those unresolved issues with her grandmother. For now, though, I will pretend I know what happens next.
 
Currently Reading:
Heist Society 

2 comments:

  1. Love Story paints a real life image of a lost girl and a lonely boy and the happy endings they're not sure how to write, and I enjoyed every heartfelt page of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those books that you think about long after you have put it down. The character's stay with you. And that's what I love about Jennifer Echols because every book I have ever read by her, stayed on my mind for days. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete