Tuesday, September 6, 2011

~Titles~

Over the weekend I finished the first draft of my WIP. I've been working on it for about three months now, so when the last word went down on the page I was ecstatic. It's not done yet, of course, but there is something gratifying in knowing that I was able to take an idea I wrote on a post-it note one day and turn it into a 60,000 word story.

I'm letting it sit before I start my revisions that way I can go back with a fresh eye. I'm finding it difficult to stay away though. For three months these characters have been on my mind, visiting me in my dreams and for now I have to put them away. It's bittersweet.

And even though I am restricting myself from making any revisions for the time being I am still going through the process of creating a title. Sometimes I think coming up with a title can actually be harder than writing the actual book. You want it to encompass the essence of the story and at the same time be something that is intriguing. I've been racking my brain and coming up empty.

Last night I went out to dinner with my parents and when I told them about my dilemma I was expecting my mom to chime in with a brilliant idea. She's an avid reader, has dabbled in writing and is creative. So when my dad came out and asked me what my book was about and then out of left field came up with a title I nearly fell off my chair. It's funny how you get answers from the least expected places. I might not use the title my dad came up with but it is definitely a top contender.

How about you guys? How do you come up with titles for your WIP's? Do you know the title before you even start writing?

1 comment:

  1. I never know the title when I start. It usually comes while I'm writing.

    ReplyDelete