Friday, August 27, 2010

Am I wrong?

For those of you who don't know I work in customer service and my main job is to answer calls and book appointments. Today as I was talking to a customer I asked her what day she would like to schedule her appointment for and her response was September 11th. Now I don't know if it's because I'm human or an American or because I'm a New Yorker but just hearing the date sends a frigid chill through my spine. Then once the chill wears off I want to say to the customer are you sure you want to have your appointment that day? And why wouldn't they? It's been almost nine years, even though to me it certainly does not seem that long ago, shouldn't we take the advice of our leaders and treat it as any other day? I'm sorry but I can't. I want to. I want to move on. I don't want the terrorists to win, but by wanting to have the day as a rememberence is that really letting the terrorists win? I think by not remembering the day we let the terrorists win and we let the people who did not make it out that day down.

It's amazing to me that nine years later I can still remember the day as if it was yesterday and considering I can't remember last week it definitely holds meaning. I can remember the day, where I was when I heard, who I talked to, the teachers face when she heard the news and the desperate attempt at trying to get a hold of my father who worked in the city on occasion. I was lucky. My father wasn't in the city on the given day, however, if the attack happened less than 24 hours prior him and my brother would have been there having lunch from a cart right outside the building. It's a thought that still haunts me. Still makes my breathe catch in my throat and my eyes burn. So for the people who lost a loved one I couldn't even begin to imagine how hearing the date makes you feel.

We have holidays for I'm sorry really stupid reasons why can't September 11th be marked as a national holiday? Not that I can imagine anybody who was alive and witnessed the attack and the months of news coverage that followed can ever forget, but time goes on and the next generation may slowly forget and we shouldn't. No one should.

2 comments: