Thursday, October 27, 2011

Don't Judge Me by My Email Address

I was on Twitter and read a tweet by an agent who basically said if someone sends a query with an AOL email account a red flag goes up and she has a hard time taking them serious. My heart stopped. Eyes bulged and panic set in. Seriously!

I'm aware that many people have switched over to Gmail and some people haven't used AOL since middle school, but I'm not one of those people. I have had an AOL email address since the beginning. Granted the names changed several times since my over dramatic middle school days but it's still an AOL email address. I'm used to AOL. I like AOLmail so should I really be judged based solely on what outlet I choose to use?

To me it's like judging a book by its cover. If you automatically dismiss someone just because of who they choose to have an email address with, you can be missing out on something great. Shouldn't my query and sample pages be the only thing I'm judged on? There are so many rules when it comes to querying. The last thing I ever imagined being a problem was having an AOL email account.

Would love your input on this one. What email account(s) do you use? And do you judge me because I never switched from AOL?

2 comments:

  1. When I read the title of this post I thought you were going to say that an agent said that if you're email address isn't professional, or geared towards being a writer, that they'd dismiss it. Now in that case if it were offensive I would agree, but still an email address is like your return address for your house. Who really cares?

    I'm confused as to why the agent picks on AOL. Is there something different about it? I think that's silly. Maybe he/she has a personal vendetta...

    I have a gmail account (as you know). I probably still have a hotmail account out there too... remember those? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually going to reference if the email address wasn't professional because that I completely understand. Using AOL, I don't get it. But it was a conversation between two agents and for whatever reason they both think AOL is a joke. I'm guessing maybe because it's outdated compared to Google? But all you're doing is sending and receiving emails, not performing surgery.

    And Yes I definitely remember hotmail. At one point in time I think everyone had a hotmail account :)

    ReplyDelete