Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Can you push the writer in you aside when reading?

Have any of you read Fifty Shades of Grey? Awhile ago I succumbed to the hype and dove into all three books.

The first page in, my writer self took over. The main character Anastasia describes herself in a mirror, which is a known no-no according to every agent blog I have ever read. There were also several other no-no's within the first chapter and even more in the first 100 pages. All of which stuck out like a sore thumb.

I'm not going to rip the books apart because this is not what this post is about. I actually enjoyed the books. Really liked them to be honest. I pushed my writer self to the back of my mind, as hard as it was, and just read without analyzing. The story itself was interesting and I wanted to know what happened to make Christian Grey the way he was. It held my interest and I read the three books in less than a week.

So I'm curious. Can you turn off the writer in you when reading? Or is it so strong, no matter how hard you try, you just can't? Have you ever stopped reading a book because it went against everything you have learned as a writer? And if you care to share what book?

11 comments:

  1. I can usually hold off the writer in me when I'm reading. Fifty Shades of Grey was the exception, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can turn it off, but it doesn't stop me from seeing those things. But then it gets you wondering why they can break all the rules, but you can't? It's just one of those things, I guess.

    Haven't read 50 Shades yet, but I'm at the point where I want to read it to see the hype, but also to see if I can pick out the type of stuff you're referring to. It's not high on my list to read, but I will get around to it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some incidents while I read and I think--this is just an info dump! Why is it in here? It does not help me at all! It can be hard, but then I think about how as a writer, you may want everything to be full circle, even if it's not necessarily moving the plot forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usually I can turn it off, usually.
    Though I didn't read 50 shades. Don't ask me why, but I really don't think I will.
    But I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It depends on what I'm doing in my writing process. If I'm drafting then I can totally turn it off, but if I'm in the editing phase it's a lot harder and even good books I find myself more critical. I don't plan on reading 50 Shades. It so not my thing. And if I have to shove my writer self aside to read something I wouldn't normally be interested in then it probably means I won't like it, and I don't have time for that right now. Maybe I'll read them when I'm old and grey. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a writer part that interferes with my reading, but I have always been a critical reader. Doing things the "wrong way" doesn't necessarily bother me, but things that defy logic really do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If the book is super good, I find I can turn it off and just accept, granted that probably means there's a lot less 'wrong' with it if its good :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes I can turn it off, but I couldn't when I was reading that book. It was one horrible mess!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Couldn't look past the writing in Fifty Shades! I didn't find the story very interesting past that anyway. I find it hard to look beyond bad writing in anything!

    I tagged you in the Lucky 7 meme :) http://onceuponatimelit.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/lucky-7-round-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so hard to push my writer brain aside! I wish I could just read without analyzing. I miss the feeling of being lost in a book. I'm even afraid to reread old favorites now, because they just aren't the same.

    That said, when a book is very well-written (according to my author brain), I love it and have a huge appreciation for it and for the author.

    ReplyDelete