Thursday, December 15, 2011

My Favs of 2011: YA Books I read

In the beginning of 2011 I always had a book in my hand. My boyfriend would get annoyed but I always told him I was working. A great excuse for a writer. I discovered so many awesome authors and books this year. And though I didn't reach my original goal of reading 225 books nor my revised, more realistic goal of 125 I still got to the high 80's. And hey I still have several days left until 2012.

My top 10 favorite YA books read in 2011 (in no particular order) are:

1) Perfect Chemistry Series by Simone Elkeles (As soon as I read the first book in the series, I had to buy every book she ever wrote. The first book with Alex and Brittney is still my favorite.)

2) Anna and The French Kiss Stephanie Perkins (Swoon. Etienne. That is all I am saying. Okay I'll say a little more. This is probably the most realistic YA book as far as voice is concerned that I have read. I loved it.

3) Forget You by Jennifer Echols (Loved it, but not as much as the first Jennifer Echols book I read, Going Too Far)

4) Ruined Series by Simone Elkeles (Oh my God I couldn't stop laughing. Amy is friggin hysterical.)

5) What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen (Sarah Dessen doesn't disappoint at all with her newest book. What I love about her books is that not only do you feel like you know the main character, you feel like you know every single character. The way she brings them to life is amazing.)

6) Leaving Paradise Series by Simone Elkeles (There are 2 books in this series and loved both of them.)

7) Love Story Jennifer Echols (Even though I didn't love the ending. It's so left open for a sequel, except she wrote on her website she doesn't want to write a sequel *insert sad face*)

8) Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (It took me forever to read this book, but the characters stuck with me long after I finished.)

9) So Much Closer by Susane Colasanti (Probably my favorite of hers so far)

10) Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson (The first and only book I have read by her. I know I should hang my head in shame. After reading this one the rest are on m TBR list. And my mom just bought me Wintergirls yesterday. She told me I can't have it until Christmas.)

Okay so it's a little more than ten since I counted all the books in series, but in the series listed, I loved all the books.

What was your favorite YA Book read in 2011?

20 comments:

  1. There's definitely some on there on need to add to my TBR list.

    Hmmm... I think Divergent by Veronica Roth was my favorite. I'm in the same boat as you with Hunger Games and personally I think Divergent blew it out of the water.

    Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor was refreshingly beautiful.

    And I just started and finished Legend by Marie Lu yesterday :) GREAT book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Divergent on my bookshelf. Maybe it will be a Favorite read of 2012.

    Daughter of Smoke and Bone is on my TBR list. I'm pretty sure you're the one who told me about it.

    And I never heard of Legend, but since you wrote great in all capitals it is now on my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! Some amazing choices on this list! I definitely would choose Hunger Games, Anna, and Perfect Chemistry for mine - adding Divergent, Where She Went, Beauty Queens...okay, way too many. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those three I have on my bookshelf but haven't read yet. 2012 is set to be a great reading year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choices!
    I confess I didn't get to Hunger Games yet ... but I will, soon, I promise hehe

    Btw, just followed you on blog and twitter. I know you're Kelley's CP and I adore Kelley ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed THE HUNGER GAMES, but have yet to read the sequels. I'll probably get to them next year, though I've heard mixed reviews about them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Juliana: Thanks for the follows. If you're confessing then I will confess as well, I haven't read Catching Fire or Mockingjay even though I own both of them. Soon. Maybe. We'll see. lol.

    And yes Kelley is full of awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colin: I started reading Catching Fire but only got to page 49. I'll make another confession, I read the last chapter of Mockinjay, I know, I know, big mistake and now I know how it ends. Hopefully I can pick them back up in the New Year. And who knows maybe they will be on my favorites read in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Hunger Games made my list too! What AMAZING books. Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're a Jennifer Echols fan, huh? LOL
    I don't know those books but Hunger Games is definitely a winner :)

    ♥Isalys / Book Soulmates

    ReplyDelete
  11. S.L: I;m hoping the movie is just as great.

    Book Soulmates: Is it that obvious? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hunger Games rocks!
    I have meant to read Anna and the French Kiss for so long. I had better get on that before I'm the last person left who hasn't!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Talk about ambitious goals! 225 books would be nuts! I generally get through around 50 or so in a good year... you make me feel like a reading failure ;)

    Anna was on my list, too, and I loved Hunger Games. I've been wanting to read Sarah Dessen's new book, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Oddly, I just heard from a girl in my critique group that my new WIP is very similar to Whatever Happened to Goodbye--so now I'm hesitant to pick it up because Dessen probably did it far better than I'm doing it, lol :-/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kaitlin: I don't think you are the only person left but you might be close. lol. The great thing about it is it really does live up to the hype. Now I have to read Stephanie Perkins Companion book Lola and the Boy Next Door.

    Crystal: Yeah it was a little too ambitious. Considering I barely read when I was younger I feel like I'm making up for it now. And don't doubt yourself. Sarah Dessen is amazing, yes, but everyone has their own unique style and their own take on subject matter. That's why I love books. You can have a similiar story told by two different people and the end result can be worlds apart but equally great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Must track down What Happened to Goodbye then! I love a book with strong, striking characters.

    I've only read one book by Laurie Halse Anderson. It was Speak and abosolutely fantastic. Must read more from her!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anna was a finalist for my list, but I couldn't remember if I read it in 2010 or 2011. We're forming a book club out of our crit group and I may end up picking it for that, because it's such a great example of voice and a realistic romance.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Robin: Yes it is a must. I felt like I was in the book with them. I feel like I am the only person in the world who has not read Speak. It's on the list. I did get Wintergirls for Christmas and I hear that's another great book by her.

    Angelica: Anna really is an awesome example of voice. And I couldn't agree more about the romance. It wasn't a Oh-My-God-we-just-met-but-I-love-you-the-world-will-not-go-on-if-we're-not-together kind of romance. It was a buildup of all the little things and that is what makes it so genuine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My TBR is growing quite fast...The Hunger Games trilogy is waiting for me at home so that´s where I´ll begin :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anna and the French Kiss was on my list. I reread The Hunger Games this year, too, and it was just as good the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Commutinggirl: My TBR list is growing too. I'm starting to worry that I'll never get to them all.

    Stephanie: Before I reread the Hunger Games I need to finish the trilogy, but I have a feeling I will reread it before I go see the movie.

    ReplyDelete