Monday, July 18, 2016

Update on my struggle to read the classics!


I've been trying to read at least one classic a month, but it doesn't always work out. However, since I started my quest to read the classics, since there are so many I have never read, I've surprised myself with getting through quite a few and *gasp* even liking some.

Classics I have read so far this year:
The Jungle
Wuthering Heights
Catcher in the Rye
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Currently reading: 
The Scarlet Letter











I'll admit I listened to some on audio: The Jungle, Wuthering Heights and the Scarlet Letter . The Jungle audio was very well done by Casey Affleck and I found myself completely emerged in the story. I wanted to keep listening to find out what would happen. It was quite depressing, but very eye opening to the time period and the people who came to America for what they hoped a better life. My heart ached for the characters and I kept holding out hope they would get a break. When I started it, I didn't think I would like it, but it's one of my favorite classics I have read so far.

Wuthering Heights was actually hard for me to get through. People always say it's an epic love story, but for me, I found it depressing and not in the way I found The Jungle depressing because in Wuthering Heights these people did it to themselves. They were self-absorbed and hard to like. I didn't sympathize with any of the characters and that made it hard for me to really get into the story.

The Catcher in the Rye I could see my teenage self loving it. Now that I'm older I found Holden a little obnoxious and repetitive. I really wish I read this one back in middle school or even high school. I think my opinion would be completely different. I write YA and I read YA and I absolutely love it especially when it has a strong voice. Unfortunately, when it comes to this book, I just didn't like Holden very much. His only redeemable quality was his love for his sister, but I'll admit I also found it a little strange. He seemed to obsess over her a little too much that for me bordered on creepy. Am I the only one who thought this?

I just finished Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and to be quite honest, it was one of those books I read, but felt like nothing stuck. I might actually change my rating for Catcher in the Rye because while I read that book over a month ago I remember a great deal of it. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde I read two days ago and I vaguely remember scenes. It just wasn't my type of book.

The Scarlet Letter I'm listening to on audio and the voice is very similar to the one who voiced Wuthering Heights and because of that I'm having a hard time listening to it. I might wind up just reading it instead. I have a feeling I might enjoy it more. Stay tuned...

Classics to choose from for the next few months: 
The Jungle Book
The Secret Garden
The Awakening
The Woman in White
The Beautiful and Damned
Frankenstein
The Importance of Being Earnest
Les Miserables

Have you read any of the above? Thoughts? Favorites?

10 comments:

  1. I loved the Secret Garden as a child, so I definitely recommend that. But I have no idea how well it'd hold up now. And I read Jean Valjean in grade 8 and loved it as well...I've heard the full Les Mis is harder to get through. I don't read classics b/c I just don't have the patience for it, so I applaud you for this! Hope you find some more you enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Les Mis on Broadway when I was in I think 8th grade and remember being bored out of my mind so it'll be interesting to read!

      I've never had the patience either and at times it can be torturous but I'm determined.

      Delete
    2. OMGosh, you were bored at Les Mis?? I saw it in gr 8 too, but that was after reading Jean Valjean, and I ADORED it!! I hope your reading experience is better, but that doesn't give me hope! :P

      Delete
    3. LOL! I was. I should be embarrassed by this, right? I would love to see it again now that I'm older because I think I'd enjoy it much more.

      Delete